Independence Day long weekend: Top cheap destinations you can choose from this year
Make travel plans for the Independence Day long weekend now. Here’s our list of getaways you can trave to on a budget. Believe us, you won’t regret it.travel Updated: Aug 02, 2017 12:50 IST
Long weekends are a blessing in disguise to go on trips and beat stress. However, budget can be a constraint to implement this plan. Online travel company Cleartrip.com has brought together the idea of a budget-friendly list of cities to visit at an affordable price to escape the hustle-bustle of city life.
* Varkala, Kerala:Varkala is an ideal place to visit if a tourist wants to experience a spring day filled with fisheries, lighthouses, beaches, lakes and more. The sight of the never-ending ocean and the feel of fresh wind is hard to beat. Other attractions include a 2,000-year-old Vishnu temple known as the Janardhanaswamy Temple and Shivagiri Mutt Ashram, founded by Hindu reformer, Sree Narayana Guru.
* Gokarna, Karnataka: Gokarna is a great place to escape to from the hectic schedule and feel relaxed over weekends. Sunbathing, playing volleyball and camping are some of the preferred activities that can be done during the stay.
* Pondicherry, Tami Nadu: It is a popular destination if one wants to enjoy colonial era buildings, churches, temples and beaches. It is preferred by mainstream and offbeat travellers. Travelling by road is the best way to reach Pondicherry. Tourists can hire a two-wheeler from shops at an affordable rate to go around the city.
* Bheemeshwari, Karnataka: It is a place for tourists, who want to experience the adrenaline rush via different adventurous activities. Kayaking, river rafting, trekking and rope walking are the activities that can be done during the day. Fishing camps and wildlife sanctuary are other great attractions. A memorable night stay at jungle lodges surrounded by 200 species of exotic birds and animals is a sight to experience as well.
* Yercaud, Tamil Nadu: Yercaud is blessed with greenery and waterfalls. Tourists can find themselves closer to nature here. This hill station is known as “poor man’s Ooty”, as it costs much less to enjoy the scenic beauty. Visitors can also get a glance of the colonial era from the buildings. Other places to visit are the caves, coffee estates and silk farms.
* Ooty, Tamil Nadu: It is one of the tops spots for couples to rejuvenate their romance. A tourist should definitely not miss travelling in the toy train from Mettupalayam. Other must-do activities are boating, a visit to the tea garden, trekking and angling.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
First Published: Aug 02, 2017 11:59 IST