BOSS Baap of Special Services review: Karan Singh Grover’s web show has its merits but the sex will make you cringe
BOSS - Baap of Special Services
Cast: Karan Singh Grover, Sagarika Ghatge, Gaurav Gera
Skip Karan Singh Grover’s mandatory sex scenes in every single episode of BOSS: Baap of Special Services and the web series -- heavily inspired by Crime Patrol as it is -- is still watchable. The unlikely pair of righteous cop Sagarika Ghatge and conman Karan go about solving a crime in every new episode. With limited thrill involved, Karan’s MO of getting vital information by sleeping with almost every female character in sight makes you cringe.
If you can fight off the urge to switch it off every time he starts taking his clothes off, you would want to stay with BOSS till the entirety of its 10-episode run. What keeps you hooked? The mystery involved with his character and the back story. However, it is at the very end when the show pays dividend.
Watch BOSS trailer
Karan takes the centre-stage in a special task force deployed in Shimla to control crime. From never reaching the crime scene on time to sleeping with everyone in sight, Karan’s Inspector Sudheer Kohli is everything a cop shouldn’t be. His behaviour doesn’t win him any brownie points with his team lead – Sagarika’s ACP Saakshi Ranjan -- but his success rate and the ability to get inside the criminal’s mind keep him in the team.
So, what keeps a character like Sudheer Kohli going? The fact that he is not a cop but a conman who joined the force under an assumed identity to search for his kidnapped daughter. While the show fails as a procedural, the story of Sudheer and his compulsions keep BOSS moving as a show.
The first episode begins with a clumsy bank robbery with one of the most inept masterminds we have seen recently, and Karan swiftly puts a stop to it with his kicks and punches. Fortunately, for the viewer, it gets better from there.
As the show progresses and Karan and Sagarika are shown solving one murder case after another, you are overcome with a desire to binge watch Crime Patrol instead. The show has almost a superhuman faith in Karan’s sex appeal and too little in the right treatment of the subject.
The treatment of the subject turns out to be a mess as its neither humorous enough to make you laugh nor romantic enough to connect with you. The thrill -- something that is de rigueur for a crime show -- is absolutely missing.
Karan perfectly syncs into the character of a depraved cop-conman and has no hesitation in getting cosy with a new hottie in each episode. Sagarika is fine as a no-nonsense cop, but her character pales in comparison. In fact, Karan’s character emerges to be so strong that it appears to be the only hero on the scene – in fact a superhero. The fantastic climax is impressive but only if the viewer manages to brave the mediocre drama till the end. Had the makers not tried to make it humourous, it could be a different ball game, a better one maybe.
Author tweets @ruchik87
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- Late Pratyusha Banerjee's ex-boyfriend, Rahul Raj Singh, has said that he is waiting for the day that karma punishes Kamya Panjabi and Vikas Gupta. Both Vikas and Kamya have spoken against Rahul in Pratyusha's suicide case.
- Rubina Dilaik, Abhinav Shukla, Nikki Tamboli, Arshi Khan, and Jaan Kumar Sanu attended a Bigg Boss 14 bash thrown by Rahul Mahajan and his wife, Natalya.
- Bigg Boss 14 contestant Jasmin Bhasin took to Twitter to urge her fans to not spread negativity. Her tweet came amid social media wars between her fans and those of Rubina Dilaik.
- Cricketer-turned-actor Salil Ankola shares how he was rushed to the hospital after facing breathlessness, soon after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Rubina Dilaik shared a throwback swimsuit photo of herself and said that she really wants to go on a vacation. However, her husband Abhinav Shukla had a funny response.
- Rakhi Sawant hosted a party on Monday, which was attended by a number of her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestants, including Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Vikas Gupta and Rahul Mahajan.
- Prince Harry has said that his and wife Meghan Markle's decision to take a step back from the royal family was exacerbated by a desire to not have history repeat itself. He did not want to be overwhelmed by media scrutiny in the way that his mother, Diana, was.
- Nikki Tamboli has both defended and made certain clarifications about accusing Jaan Kumar Sanu of kissing her on Bigg Boss 14.
Karan Patel: As an actor, the challenge is to find work in films; to break the stigma that TV actors can’t become film stars
- Disha Parmar's batting skills earned her a Virat Kohli comparison from fiancé Rahul Vaidya. The couple is on a quick vacation together and has been posting updates on social media. Watch their latest video.
- Anita Hassanandani and Rohit Reddy have created an Instagram page for their newborn son, Aaravv. Head on over to satisfy your baby picture cravings.