What your TV will show this Independence Day
Here’s our pick of what you can watch on TV from August 15 till the end of the Independence Day week. Independence Day is one of the best days of the year for TV channels. There’s ample to play as far as reality shows go.tv Updated: Aug 12, 2012 18:56 IST
Here’s our pick of what you can watch on TV from August 15 till the end of the Independence Day week
Independence Day is one of the best days of the year for TV channels. There’s ample to play as far as reality shows go. ‘Desh bhakti’ songs and dances are on air this day, and the next couple of days as well. Movie channels screen the usual suspects like Manoj Kumar’s classic, Purab aur Paschim (1970), Mani Ratnam’s sensitive Roja (1992), Subhash Ghai’s over-the-top patriotic drama Karma (1986) and sporty blockbusters like Aamir Khan’s Lagaan (2001) and Shah Rukh Khan’s Chak De! India (2007).
General entertainment channels
* Satyamev Jayate Ka Safar (Star Plus): If you’ve missed certain episodes from the headline-sparking-show, this special capsule with host Aamir Khan, will sum it up for you, while informing its impact on society.
* Indian Idol 6 (Sony Entertainment): Game for some patriotic melodies, sung by the top four Indian Idol finalists? Tune in to this big ticket telly musical.
* Hasne Ki Azaadi (Colors): There’s nothing better than a show that makes you laugh with popular stand-up comedians. Go ha ha ha!
* Azaadi Show (Life Ok): Down the years, we’ve heard many musical renditions of the patriotic anthem ‘Vande Mataram’. Now you can watch singer Mika Singh, performing the centuries-old song for the CRPF jawans. Just hope he doesn’t insert bhangra beats into our national song!
Music and lifestyle
* Yeh mera India (Animal Planet): This month-long initiative celebrates India’s wildlife. There’s an anthem, ‘Yeh mera India’, sung by Shaan, Mathangi Jagdish and Monali Thankur and composed by Lesle Lewis urging us to preserve and protect our flora and fauna.
* Vande Mataram (9XM): Using a capella form of music, a band comprising Indian Americans, Penn Masala, has put together an instrumental form of A R Rahman’s ‘Vande Mataram’, along with a music video.
* Border/ LOC Kargil (utv movies)
* Karma (ZEE CINEMA)
* kasam hindustan ki (zee cinema)
* Purab aur paschim (set max)
* Chak de! india (set max)
* Lagaan (set max)
* Tirangaa (ZEE CINEMA)
* Indian (ZEE CINEMA)
* Deewaar- let’s bring our heroes home (movies ok)
* Roja (set max)
* Mother India/ saat hindustani/ shaheed (zee classic)
First Published: Aug 12, 2012 14:36 IST