Why the Game of Thrones spin-off starring Naomi Watts was cancelled before it could see the light of day
With the end of Game of Thrones looming, HBO quickly put into motion plans for multiple spin-offs. At one point, as many as five were in various stages of production, and the first one out of the gate was an untitled series set thousands of years before the events of GoT, and starring Naomi Watts. But it was cancelled before it could see the light of day.
“After careful consideration, we have decided not to move forward to series with the Untitled Game of Thrones prequel,” the network said in a 2019 statement. “We thank (showrunner and screenwriter) Jane Goldman, (director) SJ Clarkson, and the talented cast and crew for all of their hard work and dedication.” In addition to Watts, the series was supposed to star Miranda Richardson and Josh Whitehouse.
While HBO didn’t provide any further reasons behind the cancellation, a couple of trade outlets reported that the network wasn’t pleased with what it saw. According to Deadline, the decision was taken “after a lengthy post-production … and rumors about issues during filming in Northern Ireland.”
According to The Hollywood Reporter, “Sources say HBO wasn’t thrilled with the final cut of the Watts–led pilot and asked for changes in edits before scrapping the entire thing.” Entertainment Weekly, meanwhile, said that the decision to axe the show was made weeks before it was announced to the world.
HBO had even shared a synopsis for the potential series: “Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.”
But only a few days later, HBO announced a direct-to-series order for another spin-off, titled House of the Dragon. The series, co-created by George RR Martin and Ryan Condal, will tell the story of House Targaryen and take place 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones.
Reacting to both announcements on his blog, Martin had written, “It goes without saying that I was saddened to hear the show would not be going to series. Jane Goldman is a terrific screenwriter, and I enjoyed brainstorming with her. I do not know why HBO decided not to go to series on this one, but I do not think it had to do with House of the Dragon.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rubina Dilaik shared a throwback swimsuit photo of herself and said that she really wants to go on a vacation. However, her husband Abhinav Shukla had a funny response.
- Rakhi Sawant hosted a party on Monday, which was attended by a number of her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestants, including Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Vikas Gupta and Rahul Mahajan.
- Prince Harry has said that his and wife Meghan Markle's decision to take a step back from the royal family was exacerbated by a desire to not have history repeat itself. He did not want to be overwhelmed by media scrutiny in the way that his mother, Diana, was.
- Nikki Tamboli has both defended and made certain clarifications about accusing Jaan Kumar Sanu of kissing her on Bigg Boss 14.
Karan Patel: As an actor, the challenge is to find work in films; to break the stigma that TV actors can’t become film stars
- Disha Parmar's batting skills earned her a Virat Kohli comparison from fiancé Rahul Vaidya. The couple is on a quick vacation together and has been posting updates on social media. Watch their latest video.
- Anita Hassanandani and Rohit Reddy have created an Instagram page for their newborn son, Aaravv. Head on over to satisfy your baby picture cravings.
- Pavitra Punia lashed out at those criticising her relationship with Eijaz Khan and reiterated that they do not need the approval of haters. The couple fell in love during Bigg Boss 14.
- Parth Samthaan opened up about his decision to quit the popular show, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, last year. He said that it had become repetitive for him after a point.