Euro 2016: Weren’t using our brains, says Iceland coach on loss to France
Iceland failed to use their brains in Sunday’s 5-2 defeat to France at Euro 2016, joint coach Lars Lagerback said, though he spoke with pride of the team’s achievements in getting to the quarter-finals in their first tournament appearance.
France romped into a 4-0 half-time lead in the last of the quarter-finals and though the Icelanders showed commendable spirit to fight back after the break another shock after their victory over England never looked likely.
“The first half looked like the play-off second leg against Croatia for the (2014) World Cup. We didn’t handle it well mentally,” Lagerback said in reference to that 2-0 Zagreb defeat after a goalless first leg.
“It’s some kind of mental thing that happened to the players. We weren’t using our brains, we didn’t play our normal way.
“Part of it is that France were very good but we weren’t sharp enough in our decision-making. We made some silly mistakes, and we didn’t do well as a team,” added Lagerback, who is now handing over the reins completely to current partner Heimir Hallgrímsson after four-and-a-half years.”It’s really impressive that the players turned it around as they did and I don’t think it was because France let us do that.
“They showed a bit of the real Icelandic attitude in the second half.”
However, was full of pride and praise for the way the players had performed through the month, when they won one and drew two group games before shocking England in Nice.
“It’s been a fantastic tournament so it’s a big thank you to everyone,” said the former Sweden coach.
“It’s been a fantastic journey for me. I’ve enjoyed -- maybe not the first 45 minutes today -- but all my time in Iceland and it’s been a privilege to be involved.“If you look at the whole tournament, and to reach the quarter-finals, it’s been fantastic.”
Captain Aron Gunnarsson said the team had been determined to not go out on the wrong end of a thrashing.
“The first half was terrible but the second half we played better,” he said. “We decided we couldn’t leave the competition like that and I think we saved face.”We’re disappointed but still incredibly proud. It’s been such an amazing experience.
“It’s been a lot of hard of work and the supporters have been fantastic. They’re still singing, it’s just unbelievable.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an exclusive conversation with Hindustan Times, Triple H talked about his return and his future. Triple H also talked about Brock Lesnar's WWE status while commenting on the speculations about a Roman Reigns vs The Rock dream match.
- LaLiga officials discuss potential protocols for vaccines distribution among clubs
- Currently, in the training camp in Bhubaneswar, Chopra is eyeing a return to action at the Federation Cup on March 15.
- Bruno Fernandes bent in a free kick in the 78th minute to send United into the fifth round with a 3-2 victory on Sunday.
- For the 250-odd participants, it was a new lifeline. They had people cheering for them from the stands but repeated appeals for wearing masks and social distancing had no takers. There were no marked zones, no bio-secure area for wrestlers and coaches in the indoor arena.
- The doubles world No. 38 faces uncertainty after his original partner, Portugal’s Joao Sousa, pulled out on Saturday night due to the strict quarantine protocols in Australia.
- The Irishman was fighting for only the third time in the last five years. Since his rise to superstardom, McGregor’s activity inside the Octagon had started to decline. He fought 8 times in the 2014-2016 period. But in the next 4 years, McGregor had only 3 MMA fights.