China targets press cards for some US media: Reports
China has reportedly suspended full renewal of press accreditation for some journalists at US media outlets in apparent retribution for Washington’s targeting of Chinese reporters working in the United States.
The moves are the latest manifestation of the deteriorating state of US-China relations that have fallen to their lowest level in decades.
Atlanta-based CNN said in a story on its website that China correspondent David Culver was among those told of the new arrangement while applying to renew his foreign ministry-issued press credentials.
CNN said he was given a letter authorizing him to continue reporting for the next two months instead of the usual one-year press card. He was told the move was unrelated to his reporting but was merely a reciprocal measure in response to the actions of the Trump administration toward Chinese media.
There was no immediate response from China’s foreign ministry.
CNN and The New York Times reported that other US media have also been targeted. China’s move comes after the US capped the number of Chinese citizens who could be employed by some Chinese media outlets at 100 and placed all on 90-day visas.
China first responded in March by expelling reporters from The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. Those affected have been both US and non-US citizens.
The US moves were fed by complaints that Chinese journalists working for state media acted more as propagandists and agents for the Communist Party than as genuine reporters. The US had already required those outlets to register as foreign entities with the US, similar to consulates and embassies.
They also come against the backdrop of worsening US-China relations on a range of issues, including human rights, trade, technology, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the South China Sea and Chinese treatment of its Muslim minority in the northwestern region of Xinjiang.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Soldiers performed ceremonial duties at the service for the 100-year-old, whose charity walk inspired the nation and raised almost 33 million pounds.
- An aviation blog published the audio of a radio transmission from American Airlines flight 2292, indicating that the pilot reported a UFO on February 21.
- In a recent interview, Prince Harry had a heart-to-heart with TV show host, James Corden. Prince Harry spoke about his life in the USA, how the British press played a vital role in the royal couple stepping down from their duties and Queen Elizabeth's Christmas gift for Archie.