Trump’s campaign manager Bill Stepien says in a statement that the “American people should not be deprived of the chance to see the two candidates for president debate face to face two more times” before the election.(AP)
Trump’s campaign manager Bill Stepien says in a statement that the “American people should not be deprived of the chance to see the two candidates for president debate face to face two more times” before the election.(AP)

Donald Trump calls for two in-person debates with Joe Biden before election

The Commission on Presidential Debate announced Thursday that next week’s town hall debate in Miami would be held virtually because of Trump had the virus. The president immediately objected to that format, and he said he wouldn’t take part.
By Associated Press| Posted by Susmita Pakrasi | Washington
UPDATED ON OCT 08, 2020 10:22 PM IST

President Donald Trump’s campaign is proposing delaying the two remaining presidential debates by one week to ensure the debates can take place in-person, rather than virtually, after Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis.

The Commission on Presidential Debate announced Thursday that next week’s town hall debate in Miami would be held virtually because of Trump had the virus. The president immediately objected to that format, and he said he wouldn’t take part.

Trump’s campaign manager Bill Stepien says in a statement that the “American people should not be deprived of the chance to see the two candidates for president debate face to face two more times” before the election.

Stepien says the campaign would like to see the town hall postponed by one week, to Oct. 22, and the third debate held on Oct. 29.

Democrat Joe Biden’s campaign had also asked that town hall be moved back a week “so the president is not able to evade accountability.”

___

12 p.m.

Joe Biden’s presidential campaign says because of President Donald Trump’s rejection of a virtual presidential debate on Oct. 15, the Democratic challenger will hold his own town hall event the same night.

Biden spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield said in a statement late Thursday morning that the Commission on Presidential Debates should reschedule the town hall debate for Oct. 22. That’s the night a third debate was to take place.

The commission earlier Thursday had announced that any Oct. 15 debate would be virtual because of Trump’s recent COVID-19 diagnosis. Biden said he was willing to abide by the format change, but Trump blasted the decision and argued without evidence that the commission was trying to help Biden.

Bedingfield said in her statement that Trump is trying to “evade accountability” by avoiding facing voters directly.

“The voters should have a chance to ask questions of both candidates, directly,” she said. “Every presidential candidate since 1992 has participated in such an event, and it would be a shame if Donald Trump was the first to refuse.”

—-

8:10 a.m.

President Donald Trump, who has the coronavirus, says he will not participate in next week’s presidential debate if it’s held virtually.

Trump says in a Fox Business interview that that arrangement is “not acceptable to us.”

And he’s accusing moderators of trying to protect his Democratic rival Joe Biden.

The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates had announced moments earlier that the second debate between Trump and Biden will take place virtually because of the president’s diagnosis of COVID-19.

The commission cited a need “to protect the health and safety of all involved with the second presidential debate” and said the candidates would “participate from separate remote locations” while the participants and moderator remain in Miami.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
app
Close
A police officer watches a protester that climbed on a crane, during a demonstration of Extinction Rebellion activists.(REUTERS)
A police officer watches a protester that climbed on a crane, during a demonstration of Extinction Rebellion activists.(REUTERS)

Environmental protesters tunnel under London to resist eviction

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:47 PM IST
The HS2 Rebellion group have been camping in front of Euston Station for several months in an effort to prevent the HS2 company from taking over the garden.
Close
South Korean actress Song Yoo-jung(Reuters)
South Korean actress Song Yoo-jung(Reuters)

Song Yoo-jung, South Korean actress and model, dies at 26

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Mallika Soni
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:45 PM IST
Apart from her acting and modeling career, she was a vocal advocate for people with disabilities and also the ambassador for a South Korean group called Warm Accompaniment.
Close
COVAX is co-led by the GAVI vaccine alliance, the WHO and others, and is designed to ensure equitable access to Covid-19 vaccinations globally.(REUTERS)
COVAX is co-led by the GAVI vaccine alliance, the WHO and others, and is designed to ensure equitable access to Covid-19 vaccinations globally.(REUTERS)

COVAX to supply 355 million vaccine doses for Eastern Mediterranean this year

Reuters, Cairo
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:34 PM IST
The first doses provided for the region through COVAX will arrive in February, WHO official Yvan Hutin told reporters. The WHO's Eastern Mediterranean region comprises of Middle Eastern countries as well as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Djibouti.
Close
More than a million people, most of them Jews, were killed at Auschwitz in southern Poland, which was liberated by Soviet troops on Jan 27, 1945.(AP)
More than a million people, most of them Jews, were killed at Auschwitz in southern Poland, which was liberated by Soviet troops on Jan 27, 1945.(AP)

On Holocaust Remembrance Day, Pope warns against new nationalism

Reuters, Vatican City
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:33 PM IST
The Nazis and their allies murdered around 6 million Jews, as well as others, in German-occupied Europe.
Close
A medical worker prepares to administer a dose of a coronavirus disease vaccine to a man during a government-organised visit in Shanghai, China on January 19. (Reuters file)
A medical worker prepares to administer a dose of a coronavirus disease vaccine to a man during a government-organised visit in Shanghai, China on January 19. (Reuters file)

India, China vaccinations to stretch into late 2022, says study

By Sutirtho Patranobis I Edited by Vinod Janardhanan
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:27 PM IST
The unusually rapid development of vaccines against the coronavirus had raised hopes for the pandemic to come to an end but limited production capacities, unequal distribution networks and massive demand for the shots are now sowing seeds of doubt.
Close
The latest action by the Biden administration has come up as a huge relief for Indian workers who receive a substantial share of H1-B visas.(AP)
The latest action by the Biden administration has come up as a huge relief for Indian workers who receive a substantial share of H1-B visas.(AP)

Biden admin withdraws Trump-era move to rescind work permits for H1-B spouses

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kunal Gaurav
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:01 PM IST
The proposed rule was being reviewed by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA).
Close
US President Joe Biden at the White House in Washington, US.(Reuters)
US President Joe Biden at the White House in Washington, US.(Reuters)

Trump vs Biden: A comparison of cabinet picks

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Mallika Soni
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:48 PM IST
While Biden has focused on diversity and government experience in choosing his cabinet members, his predecessor Donald Trump was more anti-establishment. The difference between the approaches of both is stark.
Close
The Google-owned firm has faced some criticism over its slow response following the violence in Washington(AP)
The Google-owned firm has faced some criticism over its slow response following the violence in Washington(AP)

YouTube suspends Donald Trump indefinitely, stops Giuliani monetizing clips

AFP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:30 PM IST
It comes a week after the social media giant confirmed it would extend a ban on Trump's channel.
Close
FILE PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: Gina Raimondo, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's nominee to be secretary of Commerce, speaks during an event to announce members of Biden's economics and jobs team at his transition headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S., January 8, 2021. Picture taken January 8, 2021. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo/File Photo(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: Gina Raimondo, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's nominee to be secretary of Commerce, speaks during an event to announce members of Biden's economics and jobs team at his transition headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S., January 8, 2021. Picture taken January 8, 2021. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo/File Photo(REUTERS)

Biden commerce pick Raimondo vows ‘aggressive’ China steps

Bloomberg
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:27 PM IST
“China has clearly behaved in ways that are anti-competitive -- dumping cheap steel and aluminum into America, which hurts American workers and hurts the ability of our companies to compete,” Raimondo, who has served as governor of Rhode Island since 2015, said Tuesday at her confirmation hearing
Close
On-site vaccination can now be done to older people and people with chronic diseases.(Reuters file photo)
On-site vaccination can now be done to older people and people with chronic diseases.(Reuters file photo)

Vaccination against Covid in Moscow now possible in shopping centres, theatres

ANI, Moscow
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:17 PM IST
Nailaya Alibekova, a volunteer, said that she wanted to safeguard herself from getting the virus for the second time as she caught it the first time.
Close
Israeli Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi reviews an honour guard during a handover ceremony in Tel Aviv, Israel.(Reuters)
Israeli Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi reviews an honour guard during a handover ceremony in Tel Aviv, Israel.(Reuters)

Israeli army chief slams Iran Nuclear Deal as strategically unacceptable

ANI
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:14 PM IST
The Israeli military said he had ordered for operational measures to prevent any such deal, contending that "the return to the 2015 agreement or even an improved version of its would be a bad deal from the operational and strategic points of view."
Close
China on Tuesday locked down a city of 4.9 million residents near Beijing as authorities continued to battle a surge in Covid-19 infections across the country.(via REUTERS)
China on Tuesday locked down a city of 4.9 million residents near Beijing as authorities continued to battle a surge in Covid-19 infections across the country.(via REUTERS)

China’s Zero-Tolerance Covid Approach Now Includes Anal Swabs

Bloomberg
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:04 PM IST
  • Some residents in China’s northern regions have been subjected to the anal swabs with little warning. It involves the insertion of a saline-soaked cotton swab about two-to-three centimeters into the anus, with the sample then tested for the virus.
Close
China has attempted to pin the blame for the cancelled vaccine trials in Bangladesh on India(AP)
China has attempted to pin the blame for the cancelled vaccine trials in Bangladesh on India(AP)

Chinese vaccine trial in Dhaka fell through. Its state media blames New Delhi

UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:45 PM IST
  • Chinese firm Sinovac Biotech told Bangladesh in September last year that it didn't have money to pay for the vaccine trials and its request for funding to CEPI had been declined
Close
Philanthropist and Co-Chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Bill Gates.(AP)
Philanthropist and Co-Chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Bill Gates.(AP)

'Crazy and evil': Bill Gates surprised by pandemic conspiracies about him

Reuters, London
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 02:28 PM IST
In an interview with Reuters, Gates said the millions of online posts and "crazy conspiracy theories" about him and about top US infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci had likely taken hold in part because of the combination of a frightening viral pandemic and the rise of social media.
Close
TikTok is among the 59 Chinese apps that have been banned. (File photo)
TikTok is among the 59 Chinese apps that have been banned. (File photo)

China opposes retention of app ban, says move may damage bilateral cooperation

By HT Correspondent | Edited by Smriti Sinha
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 02:19 PM IST
Electronics and IT ministry has informed the Chinese firms that the ban on 59 apps, including TikTok, would be retained following a review of the responses provided by them after the imposition of the ban last year
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP