Man arrested before Nov 2015 Paris attacks admits to smuggling weapons
A Montenegrin man has admitted to smuggling firearms and explosives into Germany days before last year’s attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.world Updated: Sep 24, 2016 00:02 IST
A Montenegrin man has admitted to smuggling firearms and explosives into Germany days before last year’s attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.
German prosecutors allege the 51-year-old who was caught near the Austrian-German border must have known from the type and number of weapons that they would be used for an attack. But the Munich regional court has said there isn’t sufficient evidence to prove that claim.
Germany informed France that the man’s satellite navigation device contained an address in Paris before the November 13 attacks.
A lawyer for the man told the court Friday his client wasn’t aware of the purpose of the weapons. The court had offered him a sentence of upto four years and three months if he pleaded guilty to weapons smuggling.
A verdict is expected next week.
First Published: Sep 24, 2016 00:02 IST