Watch: Electric scooter bursts into flames inside flat, close shave for family | world news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 22, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Watch: Electric scooter bursts into flames inside flat, close shave for family

The video shows a man unplugging the electric scooter as heavy smoke rises from it.

world Updated: Aug 02, 2018 13:32 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Electric scooter,Electric scooter explodes,China
Security and property management staff were able to extinguish the fire quickly and no one was injured.(Video screenggrab)

A family in Beijing had a close shave after a newly-purchased electric scooter exploded and caught fire in their flat after it had been charging for seven hours, the South China Morning Post reported.

A CCTV system the owner, known only by her surname Zhao, installed in the Beijing flat captured the incident on Sunday afternoon.

The scooter can be seen being charged in the living room, when there is a sudden loud noise. A man, identified as Zhao’s husband, is startled by the noise and suddenly gets up from the sofa and unplugs the bike as heavy smoke rises from it. Then he picks up his daughter and runs out of the room seconds before the scooter bursts into flames.

Security and property management staff were able to extinguish the fire quickly and no one was injured.

Zhao said she bought the scooter online two weeks ago and just charged it once before the accident happened. She said the scooter had been charging for seven hours before it exploded. The person she bought it from online had told her it needed to be charged for six to 12 hours.

First Published: Aug 02, 2018 13:11 IST