Ukraine war highlights: 3rd operation to evacuate people from Mariupol underway
- Russia-Ukraine war highlights: The war has entered its day 71st on Thursday with Moscow showing no signs of stopping the attacks.
Russia-Ukraine war highlights: The Russia-Ukraine war has entered its day 71 on Thursday - with Russia showing no signs of stopping its attacks. Moscow has been bombing and shelling Ukraine daily. Thousands of people have been killed - with no specific number out yet, massive number of properties, buildings have been destroyed.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky asked United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for help saving people trapped in the Azovstal steel works in Mariupol. "The lives of the people who remain there are in danger. Everyone is important to us. We ask for your help in saving them," Zelensky was quoted as saying in an official statement.
He also informed that a Ukrainian television reporter who enlisted after the Russian invasion has been killed in fighting outside the northeastern city of Izyum.
Follow all the updates here:
May 06, 2022 01:49 AM IST
3rd operation to evacuate people from Mariupol underway
United Nations secretary-general Antonio Guterres said that a third operation is under way to evacuate civilians from the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol and the besieged Azovstal steel plant.
May 06, 2022 12:25 AM IST
Russian air force destroys 45 Ukraine targets, says Moscow
Russia said on Thursday that its air force destroyed 45 Ukrainian facilities.
May 05, 2022 11:28 PM IST
France announces $2 billion aid for Ukraine
French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday said that his government will offer a 2-billion-US- dollar aid for Ukraine.
"France released 100 million euros for humanitarian aid, which is used in particular to finance international organizations and NGOs present in the field. Already, 800 tons of humanitarian and medical goods have been sent to Ukraine and to the countries of the region", Macron said.
May 05, 2022 10:19 PM IST
Russian shelling kills 5 civilians in the Luhansk
Russian shelling killed five civilians in the Luhansk region of eastern Ukraine in the past 24 hours, governor Serhiy Gaidai said.
May 05, 2022 09:51 PM IST
Sell seized Russian assets to rebuil Ukraine: EU chief
The European Union should confiscate and sell Russian assets it has seized and use the proceeds to rebuild Ukraine, EU chief Charles Michel says, echoing an idea already floated in the United States.
The EU said early last month it had frozen 30 billion euros ($32 billion) in assets linked to blacklisted Russian and Belarusian individuals.
May 05, 2022 08:38 PM IST
UK PM dials Zelenkyy, discuss armd forces requirements
In call with Ukraine's Zelenskyy, UK PM Boris Johnson discussed the Ukrainian armed forces reuirements, including the provision of longer-ranage weaponary to prevent the bombardment of civillians, his office states in a release.
May 05, 2022 06:23 PM IST
Azovstal steel plant are functioning: Russia
The Kremlin claims that humanitarian corridors to get civilians out of Mariupol's Azovstal steel plant are functioning, after the Russian army announced a three-day ceasefire at the site.
"The corridors are functioning today," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov tells reporters, adding that the steelworks remain besieged by Russian forces.
Ukraine's army says Russia is "trying to destroy" its remaining soldiers holed up in the steel plant, with Kyiv's last defenders in the destroyed city saying Moscow forces have broken into the giant factory.
May 05, 2022 05:23 PM IST
Belarus Prez Lukashenko says doing ‘everything’ to stop Ukraine war
Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko, in an exclusive interview to The Associated Press (AP), on Thursday said he was doing “everything” to put an end to the war in Ukraine that has been going on for more than two months now. He further said that he did not think Russia's “military operation” in its former Soviet neighbour would “drag on this way”. Read More
May 05, 2022 04:33 PM IST
Ukraine President announces global fundraising platform to help Ukraine win war
May 05, 2022 04:16 PM IST
‘To launch counter-offensive before mid-June': Ukrainian presidential adviser
Ukrainian presidential adviser says he does not expect Ukraine to launch a counter-offensive before mid-June when it hopes to have more arms from west.
May 05, 2022 03:22 PM IST
Kremlin says intelligence provided to Ukraine won't hinder Russia
The Kremlin said on Thursday it was well aware that the United States, Britain and other NATO countries were constantly feeding intelligence to the Ukrainian military and that this would not stop Russia from achieving its objectives.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was reacting to a New York Times report that the United States had provided intelligence that helped Ukrainian forces kill Russian generals.
May 05, 2022 01:27 PM IST
Russia killed over 600 Ukrainian fighters in artillery strikes
Russia said on Thursday that its artillery struck multiple Ukrainian positions and strongholds overnight, killing 600 fighters.
May 05, 2022 12:53 PM IST
At least 25 civilians wounded in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine
At least 25 civilians were wounded as Russian forces shelled the town of Kramatorsk in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, the region's governor Pavlo Kyrylenko said.
May 05, 2022 11:22 AM IST
Russian airstrikes target Donetsk Oblast’s Kramatorsk
Kramatorsk Mayor Oleksandr Honcharenko reported that Russian airstrikes hit residential areas in the city overnight on May 5, damaging at least three high-rises, a school and a kindergarten, reported Ukrainian media.
May 05, 2022 10:24 AM IST
Ukraine's military killed 12 Russian generals: The Kyiv Independent
Ukraine’s military has reportedly killed 12 Russian generals thus far, although U.S. officials declined to confirm the numbers, reported Ukrainian media.
May 05, 2022 09:12 AM IST
Over 300 civilians evacuated from Mariupol, other areas
More than 300 civilians were evacuated from Mariupol and other areas in southern Ukraine as part of a joint U.N.-Red Cross operation, the United Nations said.
May 05, 2022 08:14 AM IST
Canadian embassy to return to Ukraine
Canada’s ambassador to Ukraine will relocate from Poland to Ukraine, reports Ukrainian media.
May 05, 2022 06:57 AM IST
Prolonged ceasefire needed to ensure evacuation: Zelensky
Civilians including women and children are still trapped inside Ukraine's besieged city of Mariupol and a prolonged ceasefire is needed to ensure their evacuation as Russia presses its assault, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday.
May 05, 2022 05:57 AM IST
Russian troops bogged down, says Pentagon
Russian forces have been slowed by supply line and morale problems in the southern and eastern parts of Ukraine, the Pentagon’s chief spokesman said, reported Bloomberg.
- Tens of thousands of rail workers in the UK staged the latest day-long walkout over pay and job security, hampering weekend plans for those already hit by similar strikes on Tuesday and Thursday.
- WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus convened a committee of experts on Thursday to advise him whether to sound the UN health agency's strongest alarm over the outbreak.
- The capture of the industrial hub of Severodonetsk is an important strategic win for Moscow as it seeks to gain full control over the east of the country.
- "Ukraine can win and it will win. But they need our backing to do so. Now is not the time to give up on Ukraine," Johnson said in a statement on the eve of a Group of Seven wealthy nations summit in the Bavarian Alps.
- The suspect, who was already known to security services, was arrested quickly after the shooting started around 1:00 am (2300 GMT Friday) in central Oslo.
- The deeply polarized country woke up to a new level of division: between states that will now or soon deny the right to abortion, enshrined since 1973, and those that still allow it.
- The industrial hub of Severodonetsk has been the scene of weeks of running battles, but the Ukrainian army said on Friday that its outgunned forces would withdraw to better defend the neighbouring city of Lysychansk.
- “Jill and I know how painful and devastating the decision is for so many Americans,” he said with First Lady Jill Biden at his side.
- "The city has been fully occupied by the Russians," mayor Oleksandr Striuk said.
- "While this bill doesn't do everything I want, it does include actions I've long called for that are going to save lives," he said at the White House before leaving for major diplomatic summits in Europe.
- Negotiations were abruptly suspended in March, after a year of erratic efforts to salvage the accord.