These Chinese bondholders are being paid in ham instead of cash
A Chinese ham producer has come up with an innovative way to pay its creditors. Some holders of its debt will now receive its pork products instead of interest payment.
Zhengzhou-based pork producer Chuying Agro-Pastoral Group Co. said it has reached an initial agreement with creditors holding 271 million yuan ($39 million) of its debt over such a plan, according to a filing on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange on Thursday. Only the interest portion will be repaid with ham or pork gift packages, it said.
The announcement came after the company failed to repay 500 million yuan local bonds due Nov. 5. amid a cash crunch resulting from a drop in demand for pork products thanks to the spread of African swine fever. As of Sept. 30, the company had 1.3 billion yuan cash, compared with short-term debt of 8.4 billion yuan, according to Bloomberg-compiled data.
‘Payment in kind is generally not seen as acceptable for debt repayment,’ said Judy Kwok-Cheung, director of fixed income research at Bank of Singapore. This implies increasing liquidity concerns for for small and medium enterprises in China, she said.
‘Liquidity injection from the government directed at helping SMEs has eased concerns somewhat, but the market potentially needs more,’ according to Kwok-Cheung.
A gift package of Chuying Agro-Pastoral’s ham costs 8,999 yuan ($1,298) on the e-commerce website of JD.Com.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The opposition currently has 53 seats in the 100-member Senate, while Khan’s ruling alliance has 47 seats.
- The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that former president Trump will rise again to power on March 4 and that thousands will come to Washington, DC, to try to remove Democrats from office.
- At least 700 people were detained on Wednesday alone, with many of them reportedly swept up as forces conducted door-to-door searches.
- It has been taken to a different level by the Biden administration, accorded the same significance as Europe, which has dominated US diplomatic and military thinking and spending for more than a century now, starting with World War I.
- The regulator said the review is based on results from research in adults, which suggests the vaccine may help protect against the coronavirus.
- With over 11,600 square metres of habitable space, the commercial station will have many features expected in a cruise ship.
- Under the Senate bill, anyone earning up to $75,000 qualifies for the full $1,400 with the payment being cut off entirely at $80,000.
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan insisted that he wouldn’t abandon his campaign against corruption even if loses the trust vote.