Anti-Sikh Riots: Nath denies inciting violence
Urban development minister Kamal Nath has rejected allegations of his involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in a US court, and claimed diplomatic immunity in the case.Updated: Jul 01, 2011 21:01 IST
Urban development minister Kamal Nath has rejected allegations of his involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in a US court, and claimed diplomatic immunity in the case.
"I expressly reject the allegations contained in the Affidavit of Service (of Yoselin Genao)," he told a New York court in an affidavit this week. Nath said that he never received court summons informing him of the complaint filed against him in connection with 1984 anti-Sikh Riots. The complaint against him stated that the, "The defendant was seen and heard by many on the scene of Gurudwara Rakab Ganj. In this particular incident defendant was leading and in control of a mob of about four thousand people."Nath has repeatedly denied any involvement and has been cleared by the Nanavati Inquiry Commission, which described the minister's testimony as "vague" but concluded that there was no evidence that he had incited a mob.
He said that he never received summons at the Indian consulate where the plaintiff's say he was handed summons.
"Neither Ms. Genao or anyone else ever served me with the summons and the complaint on the street in front of the Consulate of India as alleged," Nath said.
In his affidavit, Nath makes the case that plaintiff lacks standing and he has immunity. He noted that the Government of India had not waived his diplomatic immunity in connection with this case. Nath said that no action or proceedings had been initiated against him in India or anywhere else. "Proceedings have been initiated against others in India, over the years and findings against other individuals have been made," he said.
First Published: Jul 01, 2011 20:57 IST