China: Death toll in chemical factory blast rises to 13
The death toll from an explosion at a chemical plant in eastern China last week has jumped to 13 after search and rescue efforts ended, a city government said.world Updated: Sep 09, 2015 11:54 IST
The death toll from an explosion at a chemical plant in eastern China last week has jumped to 13 after search and rescue efforts ended, a city government said.
A factory that produces adhesive materials exploded on August 31 in Lijin county in Shandong province.
Two days after the blast, the official death toll stood at five. The Dongying city government, which administers the area, said the toll had risen to 13 following the completion of search and rescue efforts on Saturday.
It said all 13 bodies had been identified, but gave no further details. It said 25 other people had been injured, 11 of whom were still hospitalized.
A man on duty at the Dongying city government, who gave only his surname, Fan, said on Sunday that the cause of the blast was still under investigation and had no further details.
The blast came nearly three weeks after massive chemical warehouse explosions in Tianjin - about 300 kilometers (190 miles) away - exposed lax enforcement of safety regulations.
The death toll from the Tianjin blasts stands at 161, with 12 people still missing, the Tianjin government's information office said on its microblog Sunday.