'Cost concerns behind Kanishka tragedy'

Updated on May 17, 2007 12:19 PM IST
An inquiry reveals that cost concerns led the AI plane to take off despite credible information that a terrorist attack was imminent.
HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Montreal

Cost concerns led the 1985 Air India flight to take off from Toronto despite credible information that a terrorist attack was imminent, an inquiry into the two-decade-old bombing heard.

A baggage screener testified on Wednesday that he overheard officials saying that keeping the plane on the tarmac was too costly to justify searching baggage already on board, even though three suspicious bags had been found among those being loaded onto the plane.

The testimony was the latest in a long list of shocking security lapses at Toronto's Pearson airport that have emerged during the often-delayed tribunal launched in September.

Air India flight 182 exploded mid-air off the coast of Ireland in 1985, killing 329 people in the worst mass-murder in Canadian history. Most of those on board were Canadian citizens of Indian descent.

Retired Supreme Court justice John Major, who is chairing the inquiry into whether Canadian police did enough to avert the bombing, has stopped proceedings twice since it began over disputes with security officials over access to documents relating to the case.

Daniel Lalonde, who was 18 at the time and employed by a private security firm responsible for screening baggage, testified on Wednesday that he overheard Canadian officials and an Air India representative discussing the security situation and that the decision was made to allow the plane to depart.

"The cost of keeping the plane on the tarmac was high and the decision to depart the plane was based on that factor," he testified. "The flight was going to go. The decision was that the plane was going to leave."

Lalonde also said that three bags, deemed suspect but later found to contain no explosives, were taken before they were placed on the plane during its Toronto stop-over, but that none of the bags already on the flight were searched.

Earlier testimony at the inquiry heard that Canadian officials were aware that Sikh extremists based in Canada were planning a terrorist attack on an Air India flight and that the security threat level had been raised.

Police allege that the bombers were part of a militant cell of the Sikh separatist group Babbar Khalsa based in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Lalonde's testimony came a day after the inquiry heard that the bomb-sniffing dog normally on site at Pearson airport was away on a training exercise and unavailable to screen the luggage.

Security protocol dictated that, in the absence of the dog, luggage had to be hand searched. Instead, Lalonde recalled, the plane was allowed to depart without the bags on board being searched.

Earlier in the week, a policeman assigned to security at Montreal's Mirabel airport testified that that he arrived to check flight 182 only only after the plane had departed for its next scheduled stop at London's Heathrow airport - which it never reached.

Only one person has been convicted for the bombing. In 1991, Inderjit Singh Reyat was sentenced to ten years in a Canadian prison for supplying components for the bomb that exploded in Japan.

Ripudaman Singh Malik, a Sikh religious leader, and Ajaib Singh Bagri, a wealthy businessman, were acquitted after a sensational trial in 2005.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • FILE PHOTO: Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un pose for a photo during their meeting in Vladivostok, Russia.

    Putin says Russia and North Korea will expand bilateral relations: Report

    Russian President Vladimir Putin told North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the two countries will "expand the comprehensive and constructive bilateral relations with common efforts," Pyongyang's state media reported on Monday. In a letter to Kim for Korea's liberation day, Putin said closer ties would be in both countries' interests, and would help strengthen the security and stability of the Korean peninsula and the Northeastern Asian region, North Korea's KCNA news agency said.

  • Indian-British author Salman Rushdie.

    Salman Rushdie event host thought attack was 'bad prank'

    The man set to interview Salman Rushdie in New York state moments before the renowned novelist was attacked said Sunday he initially thought someone was playing a cruel joke, but was jolted to reality when he saw blood. "It was very difficult to understand. It looked like a sort of bad prank and it didn't have any sense of reality," Henry Reese, president of non-profit group City of Asylum, told CNN. "Then when there was blood behind him, it became real."

  • Hadi Matar, 24, in the Chautauqua County Courthouse in Mayville, New York.

    Father of man who tried to kill Rushdie locks himself, refuses to speak: Report

    The father of a man charged with attempting to murder novelist Salman Rushdie has locked himself in at his home in southern Lebanon and is refusing to speak to anyone, town mayor Ali Tehfe said on Sunday. The suspect in Friday's attack in New York state has been identified by police as 24-year-old Hadi Matar from New Jersey. Matar is originally Lebanese and his family comes from the south Lebanon town of Yaroun.

  • Indian-British author Salman Rushdie.

    Salman Rushdie off ventilator and 'road to recovery has begun,' agent says

    Salman Rushdie, the acclaimed author who was hospitalized on Friday with serious injuries after being repeatedly stabbed at a public appearance in New York state, is off a ventilator and his condition is improving, his agent and a son said on Sunday. One of Rushdie's sons said his father remained in critical condition but was able to say a few words after getting off the ventilator.

  • FILE PHOTO: Honour guard members take part in a flag-raising ceremony at Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall in Taipei, Taiwan August 6, 2022. REUTERS/Jameson Wu/File Photo (REUTERS)

    Taiwan to coordinate with India, US, Japan to consolidate peace

    The Taiwan government on Sunday expressed gratitude to more than 50 countries, including India, that have called on all sides to exercise restraint and avoid unilateral actions to change the status quo in the Taiwan Strait. External affairs ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi had called for “exercise of restraint, avoidance of unilateral actions to change status quo [and] de-escalation of tensions”. Bagchi had said India's policies are well-known and consistent, and “do not require reiteration”.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 15, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now