Death toll after Nigerian attacks at least 28: sources
Coordinated bomb attacks and gun battles in Nigeria's second-largest city have killed at least 28 people, a witness and sources said Saturday, with bodies in the streets of one neighbourhood.world Updated: Jan 22, 2012 07:56 IST
Coordinated bomb attacks and gun battles in Nigeria's second-largest city have killed at least 28 people, a witness and sources said Saturday, with bodies in the streets of one neighbourhood.
"I am now walking along the street of my neighbourhood," said Naziru Muhammad, who lives in the city of Kano near state police headquarters, one of the targets of the attacks.
"Between my house and the police headquarters along this street, I have counted 16 dead bodies that litter the streets, six of them policemen."
A police source said on condition of anonymity that two police officers had been killed in an attack on a police post, while a medical source said one military personnel and a girl died in the same attack.
Eight others had earlier been reported killed in separate incidents.
The police source said that he could not yet give a specific overall toll, "but the number of the dead runs into dozens."
Kano, the largest in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, erupted in chaos on Friday night, with some 20 explosions heard and gunfire ringing out as eight police and immigration offices or residences were targeted.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the violence, though previous such attacks in Nigeria's north have been blamed on Islamist group Boko Haram.