Headley's grilling by NIA continues
Lashkar-e-Taiba operative David Headley, a key accused in 26/11 attacks, continues to be grilled by a four-member team of Indian investigators, who will return home with the details of the questioning next week.world Updated: Jun 09, 2010 16:17 IST
Lashkar-e-Taiba operative David Headley, a key accused in 26/11 attacks, continues to be grilled by a four-member team of Indian investigators, who will return home with the details of the questioning next week.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) team, led by Loknath Bahera, has been questioning Pakistani-American Headley face-to-face, eliciting information about his role in the Mumbai attacks, the wider conspiracy and all those involved in the carnage, sources told PTI.
The interrogation of Headley, who is accused of having conducted recce for the Mumbai attacks, is expected to shed more light on the LeT's plans regarding terror attacks in India.
The questioning of 49-year-old Headley, currently being held in the federal lock-up Metropolitan Correctional Centre here, revolved around the places he had visited in run up to the Mumbai terror attacks of November 2008 and the people he had been in touch with.
"The interrogation is going on. Its details can't be revealed as this is not cricket where ball-by-ball account can be provided," a source familiar with the developments said.
The team is coordinating with its American counterparts with regard to the investigation.
It will return home next week and compile a report on the basis of which further steps will be taken, the sources said.
The NIA team, which also includes Special Public Prosecutor Daya Krishan and two Superintendents, has been here since June one.
Headley's interrogation by Indian sleuths was facilitated by his plea bargain with the US government under which he expressed readiness to be subjected to questioning by foreign investigators.
Prior to the NIA team, India's Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam had visited the US in April to work out legal formalities required for Headley's questioning.
US Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia Robert Blake has said the Indian government was "satisfied" with the cooperation it has offered in the case but the country's media appeared frustrated by the "delay" in the process.
First Published: Jun 09, 2010 16:12 IST