NATO says three foreign soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Three foreign soldiers were killed in Taliban-style bomb attacks in southern Afghanistan today, NATO said.The deaths push the number of foreign troops killed so far this month to 87, by far the deadliest monthly toll since the war began in late 2001.Updated: Jun 26, 2010 17:02 IST
Three foreign soldiers were killed in Taliban-style bomb attacks in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, NATO said.
The deaths push the number of foreign troops killed so far this month to 87, by far the deadliest monthly toll since the war began in late 2001.
The total for the year so far is 307, according to an AFP count based on that kept by the icasualties.org website. The total for 2009 was 520.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) did not give the nationalities of the dead, following its usual policy.
ISAF said the soldiers were killed by two separate improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in the south, the heartland of the Taliban, who are waging a war now well into its ninth year.
IEDs are the Taliban's principle weapon. The United Nations said this month such attacks had risen in the first four months of 2010 by 94 percent compared to the same period last year.
The United States and NATO have 140,000 troops in Afghanistan carrying out a counter-insurgency strategy aimed at speeding an end to the war so foreign forces can begin withdrawing.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Friday he planned to bring troops out by 2015, and US President Barack Obama has said he wants to begin withdrawals in July next year.
First Published: Jun 26, 2010 16:57 IST