Panel hearing suspended CJ case dissolved

Updated on May 14, 2007 04:43 PM IST
Pakistan's judicial crisis deepened on Monday as a 14-member panel of judges that was due to hear a petition related to the suspension of Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry was dissolved before it started proceedings.
HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Islamabad

Pakistan's judicial crisis deepened on Monday as a 14-member panel of judges that was due to hear a petition related to the suspension of Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry was dissolved before it started proceedings.

This was the third panel of judges to be suspended during hearings of the case against the judge, who President Pervez Musharraf removed on March 9 for alleged abuse of office.

"One of the 14 judges of the panel, Justice Falak Sher, refused to participate in the proceedings," Chaudhry's defence counsel Tariq Mehmud said.

The broader panel, called a full court, was due to start hearing several petitions. Earlier the Supreme Court challenged the authority of a five-member body of judges known as the Supreme Judicial Council that was formed to adjudicate in the controversial case against Chaudhry.

According to Mehmud, Sher told the panel that he had previously challenged Chaudhry's appointment as chief justice and that his participation in hearings of the case against the judge would be inappropriate.

Acting Chief Justice Rana Bhagwandas later reconstituted the panel with thirteen judges, which was to start working from Tuesday.

Chaudhry's suspension sparked countrywide protests by thousands of lawyers and opposition parties.

The standoff with state authorities escalated violently at the weekend as at least 41 people died and over 150 were injured during a visit by the judge to the southern city of Karachi to address the legal fraternity.

Chaudhry was unable to leave the airport and later returned to Islamabad.

The decision to suspend the judge is seen by many as a consequence of earlier rulings he made against the government. Commentators also saw his removal as a possible attempt to prevent any legal challenge to Musharraf's bid for re-election later in the year.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

    ‘No talks if Russia holds referendums’: Zelensky on Ukraine war| Top points

    With the Ukraine-Russia war in its sixth month, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky on Sunday ruled out talks if Russia proceeded with referendums in occupied areas of the war-torn country. Read: 'Ukraine putting civilians at risk', says Amnesty report; Zelensky hits back Here are the latest developments: 1. Read: Russian-origin man marries Ukrainian girlfriend in Dharamshala 4.

  • FILE PHOTO: People watch a TV broadcasting a news report on the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in North Korea, at a railway station in Seoul, South Korea.

    North Korean Parliament to discuss anti epidemic policy, rural development

    North Korea will convene two key meetings, including one to review the country's anti-epidemic policy, in coming weeks, state media said on Monday, as it claims no new COVID-19 cases since late July. The North Korean Supreme People's Assembly, the isolated state's rubber-stamp parliament, will meet on Sept. 7 to discuss law on rural development and organizational matters, according to the official KCNA.

  • The setting sun shines through a Black Lives Matter flag

    Over 600 kids strip searched by London police, mostly black boys: New data

    London's under-fire police force strip-searched more than 600 children over a two-year period, most of them black boys, according to new data released Monday. England's commissioner for children, Rachel de Souza, said she was "deeply shocked" by the figures after obtaining them from the Metropolitan police. The 15-year-old black schoolgirl was strip-searched by female officers in 2020 after being wrongly suspected of carrying cannabis, despite them being aware she was menstruating.

  • This picture taken from the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon shows Palestinian rockets fired from the Gaza Strip on August 7, 2022. (Photo by JACK GUEZ/AFP)

    Israel and Palestinian militants declare Gaza truce

    The three-day clashes echoed preludes to previous Gaza wars, though they were relatively contained as Hamas, the governing Islamist group in the Gaza Strip and a more powerful force than Iranian-backed Islamic Jihad, had so far stayed out.

  • A salvo of rockets is fired from Gaza City towards Israel, on Sunday. 

    Five more killed in Gaza amid truce reports: Health ministry

    Five more people were killed in Gaza on Sunday evening, the enclave's health ministry said, amid reports a ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants may be imminent. "Thirty-six martyrs, among them 11 children and four women, and 311 injured," the health ministry said, raising the death toll in the Palestinian enclave from 31 since fighting began on Friday.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 08, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now