Sydney bomb squad frees teen trapped near device
An Australian bomb squad safely freed a teenager who was trapped inside a Sydney home near a suspicious device today, ending a horrifying 10-hour ordeal.world Updated: Aug 03, 2011 20:17 IST
An Australian bomb squad safely freed a teenager who was trapped inside a Sydney home near a suspicious device on Wednesday, ending a horrifying 10-hour ordeal.
Police still don't know whether the device is an explosive but are looking for a person who police believe place the device in the woman's home, New South Wales state police assistant commissioner Mark Murdoch said.
"We want to get our hands on who's done this," Murdoch told reporters.
Police said they were called to the house in the wealthy suburb of Mosman by the 18-year-old woman at around 2:30pm.
They kept a tight lid on information throughout the ordeal, and while Murdoch said the suspicious device was found near the teen, he refused to confirm reports it had been tethered to her body.
The teen was doing well and was with her parents, he said.
"She's good, she's been kept in a very uncomfortable position," Murdoch said.
"She has been and will be uncomfortable for a little while to come."
Murdoch said it was "far too early to say" whether the device had been placed in the teen's home as part of an extortion attempt, and refused to comment on a report that a note had been left alongside the device.
First Published: Aug 03, 2011 20:14 IST