Tibetan student immolates herself
A 20-year-old woman Tibetan student died after setting herself on fire in northwest China's Gansu province, authorities said.world Updated: Mar 07, 2012 08:10 IST
A 20-year-old woman Tibetan student died after setting herself on fire in northwest China's Gansu province, authorities said.
Tsering Kyi was a student of the Maqu County Tibetan Middle School, Xinhua reported.
She set herself on fire at the Tashi Yamdan vegetable market on Huanghe Road in the county Saturday, after buying gasoline from a nearby store, police said on Tuesday.
Tsering Kyi had earlier hit her head while playing in the classroom and then fell into a coma. She was taken to hospital and has had occasional fainting spells since then, police said.
The medical treatment held up her studies and her school scores began to decline which put a lot of pressure on her and made her lose courage for life and study, they said.
Court-appointed doctors said she burned to death, and murder has been ruled out.
First Published: Mar 07, 2012 08:08 IST