Toll 34, Musharraf no to Emergency

Updated on May 13, 2007 01:05 PM IST
Clashes between supporters of Pakistan president and suspended chief justice also injures over 100 people.
HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Islamabad

The death toll in the clashes in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi, triggered by rallies for and against suspended chief justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, has touched 34. But President Pervez Musharraf stressed that the situation did not warrant the imposition of Emergency. [At least 100 others are injured, reports said.]

Musharraf, who addressed a pro-government rally attended by some 35,000 people in capital Islamabad late on Saturday, condemned the unrest but laid the blame on Chaudhry and also on the opposition for impeding his supporters in Karachi.

"The main reason for what happened today in Karachi is that a judicial matter was politicised," said Musharraf, who suspended the judge for alleged abuse of office on March 9, triggering a wave of protests.

"People are with me," he asserted.

However, he said the situation did not warrant imposition of emergency. The opposition parties disagreed, saying the president was in fact working towards it.

On Saturday, Chaudhry was set to address a rally in Karachi but workers of the pro-government party Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) exchanged fire with opposition activists. MQM's rally in Karachi had been planned on the same day.

Mobs armed with assault rifles and shotguns fought pitched battles in the streets and torched at least 40 buses and cars. The government and opposition blamed each other for the violence, the Daily Times said on Sunday.

Justice Chaudhry remained stranded at Karachi airport after flying in because government supporters had used trucks with deflated tyres to shut down all main roads. He returned to Islamabad later.

In Karachi, the vast Shahra-e-Faisal area from Baloch Colony Bridge to Malir 15 turned into a war zone even though rangers and police were present.

"They (police) did not interfere," the newspaper said. It quoted a low-ranking policeman at Shahra-e-Faisal, carrying only a baton. "There were some orders and our weapons were taken from us. It was as if we were put here just to watch."

Despite the deployment of 15,000 police and paramilitary troops, shooting continued through the day and city hospitals struggled to cope with the flow of dead and wounded, health officials said.

Gunmen also attacked the Aaj TV building forcing the staff to remain indoors. Firing started shortly after the station aired footage of fighting between the MQM supporters and Baloch and Pashtun groups opposing them.

"We are under attack," Aaj TV Director of News Talat Hussain said on air as he sheltered behind a wall. "No one has come to help us," he said.

Journalists were also beaten up at Karachi airport. Security personnel broke camera equipment belonging to six media persons.

The rally of MQM, a party dominated by migrants from India who went to Pakistan after partition in 1947, was "thinly attended," media reports said. Its chief Altaf Hussain, who is exiled in London, addressed it over telephone.

Hussain claimed that his supporters' rally had been peaceful and the situation had deteriorated only when Chaudhry arrived in Karzachi.

He held Chaudhry responsible for the deaths that had been caused and demanded that he apologise to the nation "for taking judicial matters onto the streets".

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Chinese President Xi Jinping (Centre) and former presidents Hu Jintao (Left) and Jiang Zemin (Right).

    Xi’s Saudi visit will signal his confidence in getting re-elected as party boss

    Chinese President Xi Jinping's expected visit to oil rich Saudi Arabia could well be an indication of Xi's' confidence in his re-election as the general secretary of the Communist Party of China, which will establish his further grip on power and make him the eternal leader. When asked for confirmation, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said on Thursday that he had no information to offer, according to Reuters.

  • Australia's Canberra airport evacuated after gunshots fired; one arrested

    Australia's Canberra airport evacuated after gunshots fired; one arrested

    Australian capital Canberra's airport was evacuated and a man arrested after gunshots were heard in the main terminal building, police said on Sunday. One person has been taken into custody and a firearm was recovered, the police said in a statement. There have been no reported injuries, it added. Police said CCTV footage has been reviewed and at this time the person in custody is believed to be the only person responsible for the incident.

  • Bestselling author JK Rowling

    ‘You are next’: JK Rowling gets death threats on Twitter after attack on Rushdie

    Bestselling author of the famed Harry Potter series, JK Rowling, on Saturday faced death threats on Twitter following her reaction to the attack on Salman Rushdie in New York. To this, a user commented on her post: “Don't worry you are next”. The user had also replied to her tweet praising the attacker. “To all sending supportive messages: thank you. Police are involved (were already involved on other threats),” she wrote.

  • 8 Israelis wounded in Jerusalem shooting

    8 Israelis wounded in Jerusalem shooting

    A gunman opened fire at a bus near Jerusalem's Old City early Sunday, wounding eight Israelis in a suspected Palestinian attack that came a week after violence flared up between Israel and militants in Gaza, police and medics said. Two of the victims were in serious condition, including a pregnant woman with abdominal injuries and a man with gunshot wounds to the head and neck, according to Israeli hospitals treating them.

  • North Korea criticizes UN chief's support for the North's denuclearisation

    North Korea criticizes UN chief's support for the North's denuclearisation

    North Korea's foreign ministry on Sunday criticised the United Nations Secretary-General's recent comment on U. N. chief Antonio Guterres' supports for the North's complete denuclearisation, calling the remarks lack impartiality and fairness. North Korea's state news agency KCNA released a statement from the foreign ministry after U.N. chief Antonio Guterres on Friday said he fully supports efforts to completely denuclearise North Korea when he met with South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, August 14, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now