Two officials sacked in China for misconduct
Two police officials have been sacked on charge of "severe malfeasance" after riots broke out over the mysterious death of a teenage girl in southwest China last week, state media reported.
The chief of the Public Security Bureau of Weng - a County in Guizhou province - and the bureau commisar were replaced, official Xinhua news agency said quoting local sources, as the action came days after the violent protest involving nearly 30,000 people on Saturday.
The Standing Committee of the County's People's Congress which took the decision also stripped the previous bureau commisar of all the three Communist Party of China posts he had held, it said.
Wang Fuyu, provincial deputy CPC chief who is also heading an investigation into the incident, said the protest would not have happened if local officials had communicated "appropriately" with the aggrieved people after the first signs of protest erupted.
The "deep rooted" reasons behind the protest were "rude and roughshod solutions" by local authorities to solve disputes over mines, demolition of homes for public projects, relocation of residents for reservoir construction and many other issues, Guizhou provincial party chief Shi Zongyuan was quoted as saying.
Parents of the girl had buried her body after a third autopsy and launch of a fresh probe. Earlier, they had refused to bury the body after two autopsies said she had drowned, as they and many local residents suspected that she had been raped and murdered by individuals having links with local government and police officials.
The death had triggered widespread violent protests on Saturday last with some 30,000 involved and mobs going on the rampage, setting fire to160 government offices and 42 vehicles and injuring more than 150 policemen and protesters.