US walks out on Iraq in UN debate
The US ambassador to the UN walked out of a Security Council debate while his Iraqi counterpart, Mohammed Al-Douri was winding up.Updated: Mar 28, 2003 00:58 IST
The US ambassador to the United Nations, John Negroponte, walked out of a Security Council debate on Thursday while his Iraqi counterpart, Mohammed Al-Douri was winding up.
Negroponte later told reporters he was fed up with hearing "preposterous allegations" against the United States, which invaded Iraq last week.
"I did sit through quite long part of what he had to say, but I had heard enough after what he had to say and did not hear anything new," he said.
Negroponte's spokesman, Richard Grenell, said, however, that Al-Douri had indeed said something new, admitting for the first time that Iraq "invaded" Kuwait in August 1990.
"It's 13 years too late, but you have it on the record, the Iraqi ambassador saying that his country invaded Kuwait," Grenell said.
First Published: Mar 28, 2003 00:58 IST