'We'll do what's most effective for N-deal'

Updated on May 18, 2007 01:31 PM IST
The US says its key negotiator for the deal with India, Nicholas Burns, will decide when to visit Delhi and do what is "appropriate".
HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Washington

The US says its key negotiator for the civil nuclear deal with India, Nicholas Burns, will decide when to visit New Delhi and do what is "appropriate and most effective" to get the deal done.

As of now Burns, Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, has no travel plans to go to India as the work on the implementing bilateral 123 agreement is not completed yet, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said on Thursday.

"We are working on it. We are making progress on it. It's not completed yet. But I understand that over the course of the past several weeks there have been some positive discussions on concluding that agreement," he said.

The US certainly wants to do that and "we understand from the Indian government that they want to conclude that agreement as well," McCormack added.

There is, he said, a commitment in Washington to get this agreement done. "We would like to do it sooner rather than later, but these are important issues. They're important issues for us. They're important issues for India.

"They're important issues for the international system that deals with matters of non-proliferation and nuclear energy. So we want to get it done in a timely manner, but we also want to get it done right," McCormack said .

Commenting on a media report citing a State Department official as suggesting that Burns will go to New Delhi when the deal was done, he said, "Nick's going to do what he thinks is appropriate and most effective in order to get a deal done.

"And at what point he travels to India, he's going to make that call. But he's going to do what he thinks is most effective to getting a deal."

Asked if he wasn't very optimistic after Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon's visit in Washington earlier this month that the deal can be closed by month end, the spokesman said, "I don't know if I said that it would be closed by month's end."

"I very rarely apply timelines to diplomacy because it inevitably proceeds more slowly than we would normally like. Sometimes we're surprised by that," McCormack said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Arun Kumar is Senior Assistant Editor with Hindustan Times. He has spent two-and-half decades covering Bihar, including politics, educational and social issues.

Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • President Joe Biden. (File image)

    US President Biden expresses shock at ‘vicious attack’ on Salman Rushdie

    US President Joe Biden expressed shock over the "vicious attack" on Salman Rushdie and said that he pray for his health and recovery. White House termed the attack on Salman Rushdie as "appalling" and said that the Joe Biden-Kamala Harris Administration is praying for a speedy recovery of the renowned author. Hadi Matar, who is suspected of stabbing an Indian-born-British author in western New York State on Friday morning during a lecture was arraigned in centralized arraignment on Saturday and was remanded without bail at Chautauqua County Jail. A suspect has been taken into custody.

  • Hadi Matar, 24, center, listens to his public defense attorney Nathaniel Barone, left, addresses the judge while being arraigned in the Chautauqua County Courthouse in Mayville, New York.

    Author Salman Rushdie’s attacker pleads not guilty to attempted murder

    A 24-year old New Jersey man charged with attempted murder and assault for attacking author Salman Rushdie has pleaded not guilty. Hadi Matar of Fairview, New Jersey was arraigned in centralised arraignment on Saturday and was remanded without bail at Chautauqua County Jail. Authorities with New York State Police told PTI that Matar pleaded not guilty and was held in the Chautauqua County Jail.

  • Hadi Matar, a 24-year-old man, who stabbed Mumbai-born author Salman Rushdie in New York on Friday.

    Salman Rushdie's attacker Hadi Matar charged with attempted murder, assault

    Hadi Matar, a 24-year-old New Jersey man who stabbed Mumbai-born author Salman Rushdie in New York on Friday, has been charged with 'attempted murder and assault in the second degree', the Chautauqua Country district attorney's office said on Saturday. Matar was born and raised in the US, the head of the local municipality, Ali Qassem Tahfa, told news agency AFP. Rushdie remained hospitalised in serious condition.

  • Healthcare and LGBTQ rights activists hold a rally outside the San Francisco Federal Building in San Francisco, US, to demand an increase in monkeypox vaccines and treatments as the outbreak continues to spread. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images/AFP)

    Monkeypox: WHO creates forum, asks public to propose new name for virus

    The WHO has been in the process of renaming monkeypox since June alongside other efforts to urge the global community not to have any stereotypes around it. The zoonotic disease is disproportionately affecting men in sexual relationships with men and spreads via close contact.

  • Since the 1980s, Rushdie’s writing has led to death threats from Iran, which has offered a USD 3 million reward for anyone who kills him.

    Salman Rushdie: The free speech champion whose 'verses' put his life at risk

    A Booker Prize that catapulted him to the pantheon of global literary stalwarts to a fatwa by Iran's Supreme Leader that forced him into hiding and years of death threats, Mumbai-born author Salman Rushdie was both idolised and demonised for a singular trait that defined his life and works -- championing free speech. His memoir is Joseph Anton, named for the pseudonym he used while in hiding.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, August 14, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now