Where and how will Tamils vote?
As the January 26 Presidential election date approaches, the question of how and where the lakhs of displaced Tamils would vote remains to be answered.
While the election department says that arrangements are in place, independent election monitors maintain that thousands of eligible refugee voters may not be able to exercise their franchise.
At the end of the ethnic war in May, nearly 293,000 internally displaced persons, overwhelmingly Tamils, moved out of former areas controlled by the defeated Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
According to a UN report, 28,973 people have been released from temporary camps into host families and elders’ homes as of January 14, 2010. The majority of these people are elders, people with disabilities and other vulnerable groups.
For a large percentage of refugees, their original homes were destroyed in the war. Many were displaced from their original places of registration had to apply for voting at their present locations.
Election Commissioner Dayananda Dissanayake claimed arrangements were done to help the displaced vote. “It is not necessary that they have to go their places of origin to vote. Booths will be put up in the camps. Returning officers have been asked to arrange transport,’’ he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- YouTube in late January suspended Trump's channel, joining other social media platforms in banning his accounts following the deadly January 6 Capitol riot.
- The opposition currently has 53 seats in the 100-member Senate, while Khan’s ruling alliance has 47 seats.
- The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that former president Trump will rise again to power on March 4 and that thousands will come to Washington, DC, to try to remove Democrats from office.
- At least 700 people were detained on Wednesday alone, with many of them reportedly swept up as forces conducted door-to-door searches.
- It has been taken to a different level by the Biden administration, accorded the same significance as Europe, which has dominated US diplomatic and military thinking and spending for more than a century now, starting with World War I.
- The regulator said the review is based on results from research in adults, which suggests the vaccine may help protect against the coronavirus.