The Uttarakhand high court on Thursday set aside the imposition of President’s Rule in the state in what is being viewed as a major setback to the central government.
After two consecutive days of hearing on a matter filed by ousted chief minister Harish Rawat, the court said the proclamation of central rule in the state stood null and void.
Here’s how political leaders reacted to the court’s decision:
- In a press conference ousted Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat said “We thank the high court on behalf of all secular and tolerant forces. We are overwhelmed by the way the common man fought for us.”
- Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “Modi Govt’s blatant power grab fails. Democracy wins.” He added “Modiji while you attack the Constitution,destroy institutions and undermine democracy please remember people of Uttarakhand and entire country are watching.”
- Congress leader and former finance minister Indira Hridayesh said her party “saluted the judiciary for upholding truth and law”.
- Congress MLA and the party’s communications in-charge Randeep S Surjewala also praised the court’s decision in a series of tweets. “U’Khand HC sets aside President’s Rule.Sinister conspiracy of BJP defeated.Democracy wins. Modiji should apologize to people of Uttarakhand. HC’s Indictment of Modi Govt for misleading the President, misusing 356 & trampling upon the Constitution is historic and unprecedented,” he tweeted.
- Delhi chief minster Arvind Kejriwal, who has frequently butted heads with the centre tweeted, “This is a huge embarrassment to the (Narendra) Modi government. He should stop interfering with elected governments and respect democracy.”
- “Anti-constitutional juggernaut of BJP’s central govt halted in its tracks by judiciary in Uttarakhand. A slap to subverters of Constitution,” tweeted CPI(M) chief Sitaram Yechury
- The BJP’s reaction to the court’s decision was largely muted. In a press conference, Kailash Vijayvargiya the party’s general secretary said, “On 29th April during floor test it will be proved that Harish Rawat is in minority.”
- BJP leader Subramanian Swamy slammed attorney general Mukul Rohatgi and solicitor general Ranjit Kumar after the Uttarakhand high court axed the President’s Rule in the state. “Time to get a new Attorney General (AG) and Solicitor General (SG) for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government,” Swamy tweeted. “With a new AG and SG we can win the Uttarakhand case. We had kept these two out of Arunachal and won.”