BWF abandons plan to split Thomas and Uber Cups | other | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 25, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

BWF abandons plan to split Thomas and Uber Cups

Plans by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to split the Thomas and Uber Cups into two separate tournaments have been abandoned after objections from member nations.

other Updated: Sep 12, 2008 13:15 IST

Plans by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to split the Thomas and Uber Cups into two separate tournaments have been abandoned after objections from member nations.

At its annual meeting last year, the BWF decided to hold the men's and women's team events in 2010 in different countries to enable both tournaments to attract the same level of interest from sponsors and advertisers.

But the decision met a lukewarm response.

"The plan was to stage the finals of Thomas Cup and Uber Cups separately," BWF secretary general Stuart Borrie told Malaysia's Star newspaper today.

"But at our Council meeting during the Beijing Olympics, some members voiced fears that the focus would not be so much on the Uber Cup if we continued with the plan.

"It was finally agreed that the two finals be staged together."

No official announcement on the 2010 host has been made but Malaysia was the only bidder for the Thomas Cup and Borrie said he had now asked them to include the Uber Cup in their plans.

"Initially, Malaysia were the only bidders for the Thomas Cup finals. We have asked them to include the Uber Cup finals as well and come back to us with an amended bid paper," he said.