156 killed over MPPEB scam, Opposition leader Katare says

Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Satyadev Katare on Thursday said that as many as 156 people had died in connection with the professional examination board (PEB) scam so far.
Updated on May 29, 2015 04:42 PM IST
Copy Link
Hindustan Times | By, Bhopal

Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Satyadev Katare on Thursday said that as many as 156 people had died in connection with the professional examination board (PEB) scam so far.

Katare said that the figure includes those booked in the scam, those who were suspects, the whistleblowers, the witnesses and family members of those involved in the scam in the years-long probe that still is underway.

“The deaths of Namrata Damor and Dr DK Sakalle were in suspicious circumstances but were not investigated properly. However, I have information that 156 persons have died so far-the deaths may be due to suicide, poisoning or any other reason but this is the figure”, the senior Congress leader said when asked about authenticity of the figure.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) monitoring the Special Task Force (STF) investigation told PTI that it knew of 30 such deaths.

Sources in the STF say the figure of those who died in mysterious circumstances is around half-a-dozen, while many others have died of natural causes, illnesses or accidents in the last couple of years.

“No one can contest this figure”, Katare claimed, but did not provide a list of the names he suspects having died.

“This is the world’s biggest education scam and all efforts are now being made to suppress the probe. Gulab Singh Kirar, a prime accused, is not being arrested just because of his links. There are hundreds of others who aren’t caught either”, Katare said.

“Nearly 2,000 persons have been arrested, hundreds are still at large. There are more than 60 separate cases, each having hundreds of witnesses (the overall figure of those linked to scam in this sway getting into thousands-obviously many of them die of different causes, but it can’t be termed as suspicious deaths”, he added.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A water-logged street at Nayagaon in Chandigarh after the showers on Wednesday morning. (Keshav Singh/HT)

    Pre-monsoon showers cool down Chandigarh

    Chandigarh and its adjoining towns of Panchkula and Mohali received the much-awaited pre-monsoon showers on Wednesday morning that brought a significant drop in the mercury and relief from the sweltering heat. According to the India Meteorological Department, rain is forecast with the onset of monsoon by July 1 when the entire region will be covered. In Chandigarh, the night temperature was 28 degrees, a 3.4 degree fall in the past 24 hours.

  • KPCC President DK Shivakumar in Bengaluru. (ANI Photo/ ANI Pic Service)

    Not aware of ED chargesheet's contents, says Karnataka Cong chief DK Shivakumar

    Karnataka Congress president D K Shivakumar, who is slated to appear before a Delhi court later this week in connection with a money laundering case, on Tuesday said Shivakumar is not aware about the contents of Enforcement Directorate's charge sheet against him and is yet to receive a copy of it. A Delhi court last month summoned him and others in a money laundering case registered against him in 2018.

  • Karnataka saw over 900 new cases of COVID-19 within 24 hours and also recorded one death on Tuesday. (Representative image)

    Bengaluru logs 887 Covid cases; health dept says positives include backlog cases

    Bengaluru logged 887 of Karnataka's 968 new Covid-19 infections on Tuesday, compared to 592 (of 617 in the state) the day before. The health department said Tuesday's positives included backlog cases which could not be ported from Indian Council for Medical Research database due to a technical glitch. Data indicated that 337 people were declared to have recovered from Covid in the state, of whom 293 were from Bengaluru.

  • A screengrab from the video uploaded by ANI.

    Deserted streets, downed shutters as Udaipur remains on edge | Watch

    Streets wore a deserted look and shops remained closed amid eerie calm in Udaipur on Wednesday, the first morning after a man was beheaded for supporting former BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma, who was suspended from the party earlier this month for her controversial remarks on Prophet Mohammad.

  • Preliminary findings by police stated that the crane used to ferry construction materials malfunctioned. (Representative image)

    Four killed after tower crane collapse in Navi Mumbai, 2 others critical

    In a tragic incident, four persons including two labourers, one crane operator and a car driver, died due to a crane accident Navi Mumbai on Tuesday evening. They working at an under construction site of City and Industrial Development Corporation's Taloja phase 2 project in Navi Mumbai The accident occurred after the tower crane used to transport construction materials atop Taloja collapsed from the 14th floor and landed on them.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022