Over 60 school kids taken ill after taking mid-day meals in Raisen
Over 60 school children were taken ill, after consuming mid-day meals at a government middle school in Raisen district on Tuesday.Updated: Nov 03, 2015 22:50 IST
Over 60 school children were taken ill, after consuming mid-day meals at a government middle school in Raisen district on Tuesday. Thirty nine students have been admitted in the civil hospital at Begum Ganj.
The incident happened at village Rampura in the district’s Begumganj tehsil, nearly 100 kms from the district headquarters, where children from three nearby villages started complaining of abdominal pain and nausea accompanied by vomiting after eating kheer (rice pudding), aaloo-sabzi (veggies with potatoes) and puris.
According to the principal of the school, Girdari Lal Sahu, half an hour before the meals he gave weekly iron tablets to the children. He said after the students ate mid-day meals, children started falling sick.
“A self-help group Durga Swa-sahayata Samooh had prepared the mid-day meals for the students. After students started falling sick, I called the block education officer Rajesh Inawat and took the students to the nearby Anganwadi Centre. By that time the parents of the students came and the children were taken to the civil hospital at Begumganj where they are being treated”, he said.
Block education officer Rajesh Inawat said that samples of the food that had been served would be sent for testing. “Action will be taken against all those people who are responsible for this”, he said
Meanwhile Block medical officer Dr Soman Das said that it was unlikely that students were taken ill due to iron tablets. “They suffered from food poisoning”, he said.
Fourth such incident in MP since August
This is the fourth major such incident in MP since August. In August over 45 children fell ill after consuming mid-day meal at a government school at in Khandwa district.
In the same month, in Chindwara district’s Amarwada area, 50 students fell sick after taking mid-day meals. In September, three dozen students fell sick, after taking mid-day meals at a government school in Chattarpur district.
First Published: Nov 03, 2015 22:50 IST