Bimal Roy’s daughter honours his memory
Forty-four years after his death, late filmmaker Bimal Roy’s memory lives on. Rinki Roy Bhattacharya is honouring her father’s legacy through the Bimal Roy Memorial, set up in 1997.
Over the years, the organisation has screened films as well as honoured technicians from the film industry, whose efforts had gone unnoticed. “The first recipient was Dilip Gupta, cinematography for Madhumati. He did amazing work, but never got recognition for it,” says Bhattacharya. “We’ve also instituted honours for make up, still photography and many other aspects that are so important, but do not get appreciated enough.”
The Bimal Roy Memorial that started with a concert of popular songs from his films has more recently been in the news for hosting bi-monthly film screenings. Initially restricted to Roy’s films, the event has grown to accommodate several other films from across the world, especially those of social relevance.
“It’s not always possible to screen our films twice a month. Raising funds can be difficult at times. There is also a general lack of theatres that suit our needs,” says Bhattacharya.
Onir’s My Brother Nikhil, Ashutosh Gowariker’s Lagaan and Rajkumar Hirani’s Munnabhai series are among many films that have been screened by the organisation.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.
- Alia Bhatt is ready for summer and her latest Instagram post is a proof of it. Alia was seen soaking up the sun, leaving Katrina Kaif impressed.