City theatre revamped for Rajni’s Robot
Aurora theatre in Matunga, one of the biggest hubs for Tamil films, has the capacity to seat only 700 people. There is one-odd week left for the release of superstar Rajnikant’s film Endiran (Robot), and they have already received a demand for 7,000 tickets. In an attempt to prepare itself for the ‘festival’ that Rajnikant’s films are, at this cult theatre, it has been revamped.
“People have been calling to book tickets for the first-day-first-show of the film, weeks before its release date was decided. We can’t handle the demand,” says Nambi Rajan, the owner. “You have to be lucky to be able to catch that show of any Rajni sir’s film.”
Rajan, who in the past has distributed the Telugu version of Sivaji — The Boss (2007), has even been presented a shield from the superstar himself for having run the film for over 100 days. But Rajan’s latest attempt goes beyond. This year, he is trying to get the superstar to visit the theatre and see the frenzy himself.
“I don’t know whether it will be possible, but I want to try and get him to visit the theatre during the run of Endiran just once,” says Rajan, adding that the theatre has been the hub for Tamil films for over 60 years now.
He has been a first-hand witness to the madness that Rajnikant films bring about among audiences. Talking about the same, he says, “The demand for his films and a lot of other Tamil films has become bigger over the years, which is why we thought now would be a good time to renovate the place and change things around a little.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.