Emraan Hashmi on portrayal of women on screen: ‘If it shows a woman is ill-treated and the offender is punished, it is okay’
The conversation on the projection of women in cinema, and the glorification of misogyny and toxic masculinity, continues even after six months that Kabir Singh released, with many actresses slamming such portrayal and questioning the moral responsibility of actors and filmmakers. Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi, who has been known to work in films that often deal with bold themes and characters, says that as an actor all that matters to him is the intent of the character. As long as no wrongdoing is glorified, he is okay with it.
“I do not have any preset notion on what I should or should not be doing on screen. When we play a character on screen, it is about the journey of the character. There is an intention behind the portrayal of the character. Even if it shows that a woman is ill-treated, and the offender is not glorified but punished, it is all okay. I always look at the intention with which a story is told. Because I think the intention defines the film,” Emraan told IANS.
The actor is now gearing up for his upcoming release “The Body” that also features Rishi Kapoor. The film releases on December 13.
After the release of the film, Emraan has several projects on pipeline including Chehre co-starring Amitabh Bachchan, Mumbai Saga and Ezra, which is the remake of a superhit Malayalam film. Starting as an unconventional romantic hero, Emraan has also tried a few issue-based films in the recent past. He said that he prefers to utilise cinema to express his opinion on matters that matters to society.
“Given an opportunity, I will use my cinema to express my opinion. When I did Why Cheat India, I thought, like myself, there will be many people who would not know that such a scam is going on in an important sector like education that defines the future of youngsters -- especially the middle-class, which invests in education so that their children can get a good job,” said the actor.
“Similarly, when I did Tiger, I felt it is an important story to tell because many third world country suffer from that issue. The film has to do with the health of newborn babies. As long as the story is engaging and moving, I want to be a part of the film because primarily, that is what cinema is all about,” Emraan signed off.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.
- Ranveer Singh's sister Ritika Bhavnani celebrated her birthday on Saturday and the entire Bhavnani family came together to celebrate the occasion by stepping out for a family dinner.
- Actor Ameesha Patel took to her social media accounts on Saturday to seemingly address reports that she'd defrauded a businessman.
- Genelia D'Souza once teased sons Rahyl and Riaan about Riteish Deshmukh's 'new girlfriend'. She said that the boys got rather 'upset' with him over the joke.