‘Even if Deepika Padukone has done any offence, it is a minor offence’: Gulshan Devaiah on actor being questioned by NCB
Gulshan Devaiah opened up on top Bollywood actors such as Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan, Shraddha Kapoor and Rakul Preet Singh being questioned by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in connection with an investigation into a potential drug racket in Bollywood. He said that it was rather ‘hypocritical’ that consumption of drugs is allowed in the name of religion but not otherwise.
Last month, Deepika, Sara, Shraddha and Rakul were summoned by the NCB to join their investigation. After hours of questioning, their phones were taken by the agency for further analysis.
In an interview with Times Now Digital, Gulshan said, “I don’t know what Deepika has done, so I really cannot say. I hope everything is sorted out. I don’t know what she has done. Even if she has done any offence, it is a minor offence. In most of the countries, it would be a minor offence. In our country, it is also a minor offence because if you go to Benaras and you will see the same thing every day (laughs). So, it is a bit hypocritical that in the name of religion some people smoke it is legal and if you are not religious and have some puffs, it becomes illegal. It is a bit hypocritical but what can one do? That’s the world we are living in.” He added, “But that’s her (Deepika’s) fight, which she has to fight. People will forget all of this.”
Gulshan feels that those scrutinising Bollywood are not doing it with the ‘intention to make it a better place’. “If you ask me, from my observation, it comes from an insincere place. People, who are pointing fingers at Bollywood, it is insincere. It is not done with the intention to make it a better place but it is done with an intention to grab more power and become more powerful. That is my observation.”
Last month, Gulshan poked fun at the supposed existence of a ‘mafia’ in Bollywood. He penned a humorous poem on it, joking about all the supposed perks, but ‘only for members, exclusively’.
“One for all, & all for one. The pay is good, & so’s the fun. The drugs are free, So’s plastic surgery. But only for members, Exclusively. If you’re thinking, Oh! I want in, Eat some s**t, You jealous cretin. #jest,” he wrote.
Gulshan was last seen in Dibakar Banerjee’s segment of Netflix anthology Ghost Stories. His next release is a crime thriller titled Foot Fairy, which will get a direct-to-television release on &pictures.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.
- On International Women's Day, Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter to share pictures with the favourite women in her life. She also said how everyday was 'Women's Day'.
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.