Happy Birthday Madhuri Dixit: As the Dhak Dhak girl turns 52, here are lesser known facts about her
On Madhuri Dixit’s 52nd birthday, a look at some of the lesser known facts about the Bollywood actor.Updated: May 15, 2019 09:15 IST
Madhuri Dixit is a star like none other. She may be 52 but her radiance and smile remain intact, charming millions of her fans and winning young ones with each passing day. Her latest film Kalank may have tanked at the box office but no one can dispute her statuesque presence in it. With a career spanning more than 35 years, it takes character and personality to stay relevant in the hearts and minds of fans, who can shift loyalties rather soon. Songs from her films like Hum Aapke Haun Koun! still play on radio sets, perhaps a little more with people coming from smaller towns.
It may be recalled that post her marriage to US-based cardiovascular surgeon Dr Sriram Nene, Madhuri lived in the US for nine years before moving back in 2011. Despite being away for so many years, her fan base has remained as is, so lasting was her impact on the collective public conscience. If it isn’t films, her dance keeps her busy. The actor has ventured into production too and has produced a Marathi film for video streaming web site Netflix.
On Madhuri Dixit’s birthday, here are some lesser known facts about the talented star:
1) Madhuri Dixit is trainer Kathak dancer, having received a scholarship as a dancer when she was only nine years old.
View this post on Instagram
Madhuri Dixit she's ethereal,she's impish,she's luminous. She's every man's fantasy and yet a dream-come-true • • • #madhuridixitnene #madhuridixit #madhuri #dixit #nene #madhuriandsrk #koyla #kingofbollywood #padmavaat #padmavati #kathak #sanjayleelabhansali #devdas #indiandances #cutie #cutiepie #princess #bollywoodlove #queenofbollywood #dhakdhak #dhakdhakgirl #diva #queen #retro #hotbollywood #bollywood #bollywoodhoney #bollywoodmovies #bollywoodlove
2) Early in her career (1986), a monochrome photograph of hers, reportedly shot by Gautam Rajadhyaksha, was featured on the cover of the then popular magazine Debonair, which was among the first few pictures that got her noticed by the industry.
3) All through her career as the leading star, Madhuri Dixit struggled with skin problems. And yet acne never got into the way of her incredible success.
4) Madhuri went without makeup for Nana Patekar’s Prahaar (1991).
5) Her costume in Devdas’s song Kaahe Chhed Mohe weighed 30 kgs but she pulled it off with aplomb.
6) Not many know Madhuri Dixit is a competent singer too.
7) Painter MF Hussain reportedly watched Hum Aapke Hain Koun! 67 times, so enamoured he was of her beauty.
8) She was highest-paid actress of her time. She was reportedly paid Rs 2.7 crore for Hum Aapke Hain Koun, which was more than what her co-actor, Salman Khan was paid.
9) She has a star named after her in the Orion constellation. A group of her fans were instrumental in making this happen. A certificate, which was issued after naming the star after her from the Star Foundation Network (reportedly a charitable organisation which gives people an opportunity to buy a star in the sky and gift it to anyone they want) , reads: “A celestial body in the sky above has been named in honour of Madhuri Dixit-Nene and is officially located in the constellation Orion.”
View this post on Instagram
Thank you for being there at every step of my life, Dad. You have always been my inspiration and a pillar of strength. You truly are the best. I miss you♥️ I'm so grateful that my boys have an amazing father just like you. I wish a very Happy Father's Day to all Super Dads out there 😇 #HappyFathersDay
10) Her popularity goes across borders. According to a report on Radiomirchi.com, during the Kargil war, Pakistan taunted “We will leave Kashmir if Indians give them Madhuri Dixit.” As a reply to this, the Indian army shot back and said “From Madhuri, With Love!!”
11) A lake named Sangetsar in Arunachal Pradesh has been renamed Madhuri Lake. A song from one of her films, Koyla, was picturised there.
12) In 2018, she was among the 20 Indians invited for the Oscar Academy’s Class of 2018.
13) Madhuri Dixit is associated with a number of humanitarian and philanthropic activities. She has been associated with UNICEF for prevention of child labour. She is also a brand ambassador for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: May 15, 2019 09:10 IST