It has been ‘humbling, surreal and overwhelming’ for Manmarziyan actor Vicky Kaushal
“I feel there’s a halo around me, a constant sunshine wherever I go,” says Vicky Kaushal who is currently riding high on consecutive hits and critical acclaim. Vicky made his debut in 2015 with Masaan and followed it up with Zubaan and Raman Raghav 2.0 the next year.
The actor, however, has peaked this year with critically acclaimed performances in films like Love Per Square Foot, Raazi, Sanju and Lust Stories and currently awaits for the release of his next outing, Manmarziyaan. In an interview with PTI, Vicky says 2018 has been “humbling, surreal and overwhelming.”
“When people say I’ve become a star, it takes time to sink in. My mom asks me, ‘I can’t have my feet on the ground as a parent, how are you feeling? What are you going through?’ I feel there’s a constant sense of happiness and gratefulness in me,” he says.
“But there are moments when I am alone and I just to scream ‘hurray!’ to release the happiness. Otherwise I am living with this giddiness that something special is happening, which I’ve been working really hard for,” he adds.
For nearly two years, Vicky did not have a single movie release and was constantly jumping from one film set to another, before they all aligned in a way that success felt hard earned and consecutive. “I finished Love Per Square Foot in January end and first week of February I started Sanju. Then it finished and within 20 days I had to get into Raazi. When that got over, I was shooting for Lust Stories. It was a lot of hard work. But film set is my paradise where I feel at peace. I want everyday of my life on a film set.”
The 30-year-old actor, however, insists he would give credit to all of his directors who showed faith in him and says what he is seeing right now, is unimaginable. “This has been a very organic journey. I had a very less hand in it. It’s the makers who had trust in me and I wouldn’t take credit. What I am seeing right now is beyond my expectation or imagination.”
With the new found fame and success, Vicky is aware that the spotlight is on him and says the most important thing for him to do right now is to not let his belief waver. “At this point, I need to keep my belief intact: give hundred per cent to your present and your future will be better than what you wanted to be. I still want to focus on the now... Three years ago I never thought this would happen. I never planned, I only worked towards it,” he says.
With Manmarziyaan, Vicky reunites with his mentor Anurag Kashyap and the actor says the Gangs of Wasseypur director’s working style pushes artistes to give their all. “He is a very organic, spontaneous director. He doesn’t plan on how he is going to shoot, he knows what he wants. So with him, an actor can say two or twenty lines. He doesn’t say cut for sometime after the scene is done. So you have to just stay in the character. It’s the first time you think as a character because you’re not told what to do. That’s when some of the most organic and magical things happen,” he says.
Written by Kanika Dhillon, Manmarziyaan also stars Taapsee Pannu and Abhishek Bachchan. The Aanand L Raai backed film is scheduled to release on September 14.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- After wearing a T-shirt with 'let's smash patriarchy' printed on it just ahead of her arrest last year, Rhea Chakraborty made a fresh statement with her clothes on Sunday, by wearing a hoodie with 'Man up' written on it.
- Arjun Kapoor and Malaika Arora were spotted at Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan's residence in Mumbai on Sunday. During his visit, Arjun was captured scolding a photographer for climbing the wall of Kareena's building.
- Actor Kareena Kapoor Khan has shared the first picture of herself after becoming a mother for the second time. "Missed you all," she wrote. See the picture here.
- Alia Bhatt is also a producer now. The Gangubai Kathiawadi actor shared the news and said how she intends to tell happy and real tales.
- Amitabh Bachchan's granddaughter Navya Naveli Nanda shared new pictures with her friends. See them here.
- Interior designer Gauri Khan shared a throwback picture with actor-husband Shah Rukh Khan. See it here.
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.