Kabir Singh vs Article 15 box office: Shahid Kapoor’s film dominates Ayushmann Khurrana’s latest, inches towards Rs 200 cr
Actor Ayushmann Khurrana’s critically acclaimed Article 15 has made a modest Rs 19 crore in its opening weekend at the box office. Meanwhile, Shahid Kapoor’s Kabir Singh made almost Rs 50 crore in its second weekend, leaving all competition in the dust.
According to Box Office India, Article 15 witnessed an uptick on Saturday and Sunday, and made over Rs 7 crore on both days, after a Rs 5 crore opening day. Meanwhile, Kabir Singh made Rs 12 crore on its second Friday, followed by approximately Rs 17 crore on both Saturday and Sunday. The film’s domestic total now stands at a little more than Rs 180 crore, making the controversial romantic drama the third highest grossing Bollywood film of 2019, behind Bharat (Rs 210 crore) and Uri: The Surgical Strike (Rs 243 crore).
Kabir Singh has made approximately Rs 60 crore in and around Mumbai, and about Rs 40 crore in the Delhi/UP circuit. Article 15’s major territories are the metros. It marks the biggest solo hit of Shahid’s career, by far, but trails the historical epic Padmaavat, which made over Rs 300 crore in India.
Despite harsh reviews, which criticised Kabir Singh’s celebration of toxic masculinity and its poor treatment of women, the film has been a box office success. The Hindustan Times review, awarding the film one-and-a-half stars out of five, noted that “Kabir Singh applauds its pathetic protagonist, and ends up an obnoxious celebration of toxic masculinity.”
Ayushmann, meanwhile, recently delivered two of the biggest hits of his career. The neo-noir AndhaDhun made over Rs 440 crore worldwide, and Badhaai Ho, which has made Rs 221 crore worldwide.
Meanwhile, the sole Hollywood release of the week, the horror sequel Annabelle Comes Home, made Rs 18 crore in four days. The Conjuring spin-off was released on Thursday.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- TV host Rannvijay Singha took to Instagram to post a cute family picture with wife Prianka and daughter Kainaat to make the announcement.
- Saina Nehwal has praised the teaser of her biopic Saina, which features Parineeti Chopra as the noted badminton player.
- Kareena Kapoor took to Instagram to wish Saif Ali Khan's son Ibrahim Ali Khan as he turned 20. She shared a photo of him from a recent shoot.
- Mandira Bedi has put up her Madh Island house on Airbnb. The actor has reportedly been working tirelessly to refurbish the place before letting it out. See pictures here.
- Gauahar Khan's father died on Friday after being admitted in a hospital for several days. The agctor had been posting about him as she kept close to him in his last days.
- Anil Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor has shared several throwback pictures with Rhea Kapoor while wishing her on her birthday on Friday.
- Ananya Panday on Thursday shared a picture with her team mates from Liger as they all went for dinner together. See her picture here. Liger stars Ananya and Vijay Deverakonda in the lead.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram to wish her brother Ibrahim Ali Khan on his birthday on Friday. See his specially designed football-shaped cake.
- Kangana Ranaut has posted a video from the sets of Tejas in which she can be seen training on a net. She plays an Indian Air Force pilot in the film.
- Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan tied the knot in 2012. At the time, Brad Pitt wished the couple 'all the luck' on their marriage.
- Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter and dropped a vague description of a man who she believes is running a social media smear campaign against her.