Mandana Karimi: ‘I was homeless, Mumbai isn’t a cheap city to live in’
Mandana Karimi, who will be making a return to acting with the Zee5 show The Casino this week, has said that when things were at their worst, she was rendered homeless. In an interview to Zoom, she said that she was out of work for two years, and relied on friends’ support to get through it.
“Every single day in this industry, you have a new challenge. Every single day, there are thousands of Indians or there are people from outside, who want to be a part of the industry because it is a glamourous place. Everybody is replaceable. I feel, the moment you take that break, it becomes difficult to come back, especially when you are not from India,” she said.
Mandana, who has appeared in the reality show Bigg Boss and the film Kya Kool Hain Hum 3, said that after the release of the film, she didn’t get any offers for years. She said, “I am trying to survive. It is really tough to stay in Mumbai, it is not a cheap city and suddenly overnight, I was homeless. Overnight, everything went down the drain for me. What kept me going was my determination and great family and friends that I have around me and people who have been there for me.”
But she said that she sees it as a sign that the industry is welcoming her back. “To go back to movies, because of a couple of experiences that I had, which were bad experiences, I kind of tried to run away from the movies and the industry. But I think when the industry is taking you back, that means this is what I am supposed to do,” she said.
The Casino will be released on June 12, and also stars Karanvir Bohra and Sudhanshu Pande.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Twitter has offered reasons behind the restrictions that were made to Kangana Ranaut's account for a brief time.
- Kangana Ranaut went back on an earlier tweet in which she claimed that she isn't interested in seeing anyone's leaked messages or emails when she was questioned about her comments on Deepika Padukone and Rhea Chakraborty's leaked WhatsApp chats.
- Preity Zinta shared a sneak peek from her road trip with husband Gene Goodenough. She posted a loved-up snap of him carrying her in his arms.
- Vikas Khanna revealed that he was asked to pay money in exchange for favourable reviews of his directorial debut, The Last Color. He said that he will never forget it.
- Filmmaker Pooja Bhatt has written a note about feeling the temptation to drink, and how she dealt with it. She has been sober for four years.
- Actor Maanvi Gagroo, who has appeared in Four More Shots Please! and Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, complained to an OTT platform after its name was used as bait by someone who told her she had to 'compromise' for a role.
- Shahid Kapoor's wife, Mira Rajput, has shared new posts from their Goa vacation. Check them out.
- Sushmita Sen's daughter Renee said that she never felt the need to know about her biological parents. She also expressed her desire to adopt children someday.