Rishi Kapoor says actors should focus on building minds: ‘Look at Ranveer, Vicky, my son. None of them have dole-shole’
From the time of his debut in 1970 with Mera Naam Joker to his upcoming release The Body, iconic actor Rishi Kapoor has lived his Bollywood career transforming from a child actor to a top star to a character artiste. In the course of his journey, he believes he has managed to stay relevant with time because he builds his mind as an actor, and not the body.
Asked what would be the one advice he would give to budding actors, Rishi told IANS: “These days, budding actors are more interested in grooming and building their body. They focus on building muscles than emotional exercise, which is important for actors. Build your mind rather than your body when you prepare for acting, because if you have the acting skill, you will surely become an actor. If you don’t have that, you are replaceable. Look at me, do I have the body? But I am still working, because in every film I try to create a character.”
Also Watch | Rishi Kapoor returns from US with wife Neetu Singh after cancer treatment
He added after a pause: “Okay, I maybe old, I do not inspire youngsters. But look at Ayushmann (Khurrana), Rajkummar Rao, Ranveer Singh, Vicky (Kaushal) and -- I’m not taking his name because he is my son -- but Ranbir too is a talented actor! None of them have ‘dole-shole’ (muscles). Kyunki dole rahne se, kalakar nehi banoge. Bus gym mein paise phukega (Having muscles won’t ensure you will be an artist, you’ll only waste money in the gym). (Amitabh) Bachchan saab ko dekho (look at Mr Amitabh Bachchan), he did not have muscles. But even today, he is the original angry young man of Hindi cinema!”
Quite interestingly, Rishi changed his image from a romantic hero of films like Bobby, Khel Khel Mein to films like Love Aaj Kal, Do Dooni Chaar, Agneepath, Kapoor & Sons, 102 Not Out and Mulk. In Jeethu Joseph’s The Body, Rishi co-stars with Emraan Hashmi, Sobhita Dhulipala and Vedhika. The film is slated to open on December 13.
During his recent stay in the US for health treatment, Rishi says he got a chance to see how his films still hold relevance among the international audience. “When I got to know that they are interested in watching my films, I suggested around 10 titles, and 102 Not Out was one of them. The next morning a guy came to our place with flowers and a long handwritten emotional note. He couldn’t hold his tears because he said the film narrated the story of his life. He said that his son wants him to die fast so that he can get all the properties. He said that he is 82-years-old and his son does not even talk to him,” recalled Rishi.
“I realised cinema as a medium is so universal that it touches thousand of hearts. I felt bad for him, but I was moved by the power of cinema,” the actor concluded.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.