Shaukat Kaifi prayer meet: Aamir Khan, Kajol, Tabu pay last respects to veteran actor
Family and friends bid adieu to actor Shabana Azmi's mother Shaukat Kaifi Azmi at a prayer meeting in Mumbai on Tuesday. Shaukat Kaifi, who was in her early 90s, passed away on Friday evening due to cardiac arrest.
A portrait of Shaukat Kaifi was placed at the venue on Tuesday. Spotted at the prayer meet were Bollywood personalities such Aamir Khan, Aditi Rao Hydari, Gulshan Grover, Tabu, Kajol, Ram Madhvani, Madhur Bhandarkar, David Dhawan, Rakesh Roshan, Jeetendra, and others. Aamir’s Thugs of Hindostan director Vijay Krishna Acharya was also seen at the meet, as well as his Lagaan director Ashutosh Gowariker.
She was buried at the Sunni Kabristan in Versova suburbs at 4:30 pm, three rows away from her husband Kaifi Azmi, a famous Urdu poet and film lyricist. Shaukat Kaifi has two children Shabana and Baba Azmi. She was buried in the presence of family, friends and people from the film fraternity.
Several celebrities such as Farhan Akhtar, Amitabh Bachchan, Naseeruddin Shah, Rishi Kapoor, Tabu, Sanjay Kapoor, Divya Dutta, Rekha, Shankar Mahadevan, Sunita Kapoor, Nandita Das, Aditi Rao Hydari, Kiran Rao and Prasoon Joshi, paid their last respects at the funeral.
Kaifi was known for her work in Hindi films such as Umrao Jaan, starring Rekha, Garam Hawa, Salaam Bombay! and Heer Ranjha, among others. She was last seen in the 2002 romantic drama Saathiya.
With agency inputs
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunny Leone, in a new video shared on Instagram, gave a glimpse into her journey from being boycotted at awards shows and facing criticism to professional success and personal happiness.
- Madhuri Dixit took to social media to wish her son Ryan as he turned 16. She also posted pictures of other family members on the occasion.
- Ananya Panday took to social media to share pictures of her grandmothers and celebrated them on the occasion of International Women's Day.
- Amitabh Bachchan took to social media to wish all his fans on International Women's Day. He also said everyday was Women's Day, in his eyes.
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.