Sonakshi Sinha supports Deepika Padukone, says ‘Can’t sit on the fence any longer’
Actor Sonakshi Sinha has thrown her weight behind Deepika Padukone over her support for students of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). The Dabangg actor took to Twitter to express her feelings.
She wrote: “No matter which political party you support,do u support violence?Don’t visuals of bleeding students and teachers shake you up?We can’t sit on the fence any longer.Kudos to @deepikapadukone for showing up,& all those who spoke for speaking up.This is not the time to stay quiet.”
On Tuesday, Deepika showed up at Sabarmati T-point in JNU and silently stood with protesting students. Speaking later to Aaj Tak, Deepika said that she was “very angry” over what was happening in JNU. She said: “I am very angry at what is happening but it is worse that no action is being taken.”
“What I wanted to say I said it two years ago when Padmaavat was released. What I am seeing today, it pains me. I hope it doesn’t become the new normal. That anyone can say anything and they can get away with it. I fear and I’m sad. This is not the foundation of our country.”
Many Bollywood celebs have chosen to stay quiet on the issue whole others have spoken and protested against the brutality. Actors Richa Chadha, Swara Bhaskar, Dia Mirza, Shabana Azmi, Sandhya Mridul, Mohd Zeeshan Ayyub, Sushant Singh; directors Hansal Mehta, Anubhav Sinha, Nikhil and Anurag Kashyap have also supported the students.
However, after Deepika spoke up, many younger stars like Varun Dhawan did speak up. Kartik Aaryan also said he supported Deepika for her visit to JNU and said that it was a bad atmosphere right now and that strict action needs to be taken.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Ranvir Shorey was asked by a fan if his leg fracture was caused by too much happy dancing after recovering from Covid-19. See his reply here.
- Shilpa Shetty, who is currently vacationing in Maldives, shared another stunning picture of herself. See it here.