‘There was a time when I thought my career was over’: Akshay Kumar at HT GIFA launch
It has been years that Akshay Kumar took a box office misstep. The actor has delivered 10 hits in a row, has been on the list of richest actors in the world and can fill theatres on just his name. However, there was a time that the actor believed his career was over after delivering 14 back-to-back flops.
“There was a time when I had 14 flops and I believed my career was over. I was dejected, but it was my training as a martial artist that came handy. It teaches you discipline,” the actor says, adding, “It was my learning from the 14 flops that helps me deliver hits today.”
Akshay was speaking at the grand launch of HT GIFA, Delhi-NCR’s biggest neighbourhood football tournament, at the Thyagaraj Sports Complex in New Delhi.
Watch the entire interview here:
Akshay also doesn’t have anything on his bucket list anymore. “I used to work at an eatery in Bangkok, it was like a dhaba. I used to prepare food and serve it as well. In my room, I had the posters of Sylvester Stallone, Jackie Chan and Sridevi. I was lucky enough to work with all three of them in my career. I have achieved what I had on my bucket list,” the actor says candidly.
After the success of Mission Mangal that tells the story of India’s mission to Mars, Akshay will be seen in comedy caper Housefull 4, a franchise he has been attached to right from the beginning. “I am going to lose all the respect I have earned with serious cinema with Housefull 4,” Akshay jokes, adding, “Every time I want a break, I do a Housefull film. It is a fun film; I have fun on the sets. Having said that, making people laugh with slapstick is the toughest of jobs.”
Interact with Jyoti Sharma Bawa @jsb17
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.
- Ranveer Singh's sister Ritika Bhavnani celebrated her birthday on Saturday and the entire Bhavnani family came together to celebrate the occasion by stepping out for a family dinner.
- Actor Ameesha Patel took to her social media accounts on Saturday to seemingly address reports that she'd defrauded a businessman.
- Genelia D'Souza once teased sons Rahyl and Riaan about Riteish Deshmukh's 'new girlfriend'. She said that the boys got rather 'upset' with him over the joke.
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.