'Vidya not an item girl in Ferrari Ki Sawaari'
Vidhu Vinod Chopra is peeved over speculation that he approached Vidya Balan for a special appearance in Ferrari Ki Sawaari (FKS) to add star power to his movie. “I’ve done three films — Parineeta (2005), Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006) and Eklavya (2007) — with Vidya when she was still a newcomer, but we haven’t worked since. I approached her for another film last December, before Kahaani (2012) or even The Dirty Picture (2011) released,” he says.
Is it for Munnabhai Ki Aatma Katha or Peekay with Aamir Khan? Vinod isn’t telling: “Very few people in the film industry like me, and I like to hold on to those who do. Vidya is one of them. It’s a bonus that she’s a wonderful actor.”
He’s pretty categorical that he didn’t rope her in for a ‘lavani’ song in FKS because she is a star. “In fact, it’s not an item number as is being said. It is an authentic song and was always a part of the script. We had got dancers from Kolhapur for it and while they were rehearsing, Raju (writer-director Rajesh Mapuskar) told me that Vidya wanted to do a ‘lavani’. I messaged her and she admitted she’d been waiting for it. Before I knew it, she was rehearsing with the dancers and after a fortnight’s practice, was ready. It was a flawless performance and not at all filmi.”
He points out that after 3 Idiots (2009), he could have had the pick of stars and did have Aamir and Shah Rukh Khan in mind for FKS. But Sharman Joshi had also auditioned for the lead, and when in Los Angeles, Vinod got a call informing him that Sharman was on his way. “I was certain that I wouldn’t go with him but I thought I should at least see his screen test before he came. It blew me over! He was my Rusy (Rustam). I told Raju we had to cast him even though I knew as a producer that it was a risk,” he says.
Today, he’s happy he took the gamble. When his daughter, Zooni, saw the film, she told him, “I’m glad you cast this man.” Vinod understands what she meant, saying, “Sharman lives the role. When he cries your heart goes out to him, when he smiles, you celebrate with him.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.