Fashion special: 6 new ways to wear the colour of the season—white
If black slims, does white make you look weightier? India’s top fashion experts tell you how to go colourless with styleUpdated: Mar 17, 2019 10:21 IST
Brighten up your style with a non-colour
By Rishi Raj
Attention ladies and gentlemen – Break the monotony of white in these three ways:
1. Brighten the white dress with colour. Or, layer the minimal white trouser-top with a monochromatic blazer.
2. Avoid colour-blocking if you’re chubby as it can make you look short. Keep big prints at bay for areas you’d rather hide! Slimmer body types can layer with fun colours to add visual fullness.
3. Most South Asians have a warm undertone, so deep hues and jewel tones work beautifully.
Add-ons: A low slung belt and a messy side braid can look chic with a white dress paired with a vibrant jacket. Coordinate your flats with the colours of a vibrant scarf that can double as a shrug or a chain belt and turn into a statement neck piece.
Perk up your evening ensemble
By Amy Billimoria
Perk up party wear in these three simple ways:
1. Experiment with whites by adding hints of hues from the summer palette of ferns, limes and peaches.
2. You can also opt for white gowns and dresses detailed with prints, especially florals in pretty pastel tones.
3. Throw in accessories like floral satin head bandanas, cork heels or printed wedges to perk up the look.
Add-ons: Keep the make-up minimal by using a nude colour palette. Keep the lips shimmery by using a nice gloss. Hair could be tonged in soft curls and messy braids.
Be the diva at the do
By Sanjana Batra
Five fashionable ways to style the simple white skirt:
1. Wear a ganji, tank top or a cropped T- shirt and pair it with a denim or leather jacket.
2. Do a sophisticated tone-on-tone look by wearing a white skirt with a white top.
3. Slip on an oversized knit or long top and keep it tucked out of the skirt and belt it. Wear a pair of boots along with this.
4. If it’s a flowy skirt, wear a turtle-neck top in a nice contrasting colour.
5. Wear a fun printed shirt or top in quirky feminine prints like cute hearts and stars, or a graphic tee.
Add-ons: Swipe some coloured liner or a bright pink lip colour. Go for statement silver oxidised or gold jewellery and a quirky pair of white sunglasses or slim cat-eye shades.
Add a smart spin
By Jenjum Gadi
Three things to keep in mind when going fusion in white:
1. Have fun with the look, don’t play safe but make sure it’s balanced. To do so, have one statement piece in the look. It can be the top or the bottom or even an accessory.
2. Pay attention to the silhouette. For instance, if the upper garment is loose, ensure the bottomwear is fitted and vice versa.
3. Add texture, print or embroidery in one of the pieces. It makes the look more interesting. Avoid more than two statements in the look, otherwise it might look like a costume.
Add-one: Just add a watch or broach to the look. Cleaner the accessories, smarter will be the look.
Skip black for formal dinners
By Nachiket Barve
Three pieces of advice for guys and girls to turn heads at dinner parties:
1. Embellishments like pearl-work, multi-colour resham work, sequins, appliqué and mirror-work go well with white.
2. A pleated matte drape dress works for curvy bodies. Skinny body types can wear white with a hint of lustre.
3. Emeralds on white look ethereal, while white diamond and polki with pearls look beautiful. Wear oxidised silver jewels for an ethnic look.
Add-ons: Choose a shade of white that complements your skin. Pearly or ivory white looks the best. Accents of shell look great with white.
1. A white suit can work with an open-collared shirt, loafers and a flower accent, like a flower button hole. For the evening, go for a white tux with a black tie.
2. While most shades work for light complexions, a bright white complements dusky men and those with a medium skin tone can go for an undertone of cream or ivory.
3. Chubby people should avoid a double-breasted or three-piece suit in a shiny fabric and skinny men can go for rich fabrics like gazar or heavy satin.
Add-ons: Choose statement sherwani buttons in kundan, polki or enamel.
Use white to show confidence
By Nida Mahmood
Three ways to wear white to work:
1. Use white as a strong colour with silhouettes that are powerful. The colour will always do it’s part.
2. A silk jacket-cut sherwani style kurta with cigarette pants can be another bold silhouette, which you can team with a bold neck-piece.
3. Even a plain sharp shirt with well- tailored pants can do wonders in the board room.
Add-ons: Throw in a scarf and accessories like a bold necklace, cuffs in a contrast black or red can be strong.
From HT Brunch, March 17, 2019
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch
First Published: Mar 16, 2019 20:56 IST