Here are 5 things Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio promises to bring to you
Reliance Industries’ Jio telecoms unit will charge for its services from April, ending an almost seven month spree of free calls and data that shook up the country’s telecom sector and helped the new arrival rack up more than 100 million users.business Updated: Feb 22, 2017 09:56 IST
Reliance Industries’ Jio telecoms unit will charge for its services from April, ending an almost seven month spree of free calls and data that shook up the country’s telecom sector and helped the new arrival rack up more than 100 million users.
Here are five highlights of a speech by Reliance owner and India’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani:
1) Ambani announced Jio has passed the 100-million subscriber mark and its service would cover most of the country’s billion-plus population by the end of the year. He said that on an average Jio added seven customers on its network every second.
2) Ambani announced sharp discounts, even as Jio begins to make its subscribers pay. Without giving details, Jio would remain cheaper, Ambani said. He also vowed to match the tariff data plans of its competitors with 20% more data.
3) Under the ‘Jio Prime Membership Programme’ for founder members, the existing 100 million plus Jio subscribers can avail unlimited benefits of ‘Jio Happy New Offer’ for another full year or till March 31, 2018 for a nominal, one-time enrolment fee of Rs 99 coupled with an introductory price of Rs 303 per month. The ‘Jio Prime Membership’ is available only for existing customers and the enrolment window will remain open from March 1-31, 2017. Apart from that, he said the company will start offering tariff plans starting April 1 for people who do not opt for the prime membership plan.
4) Ambani said that prior to the launch of Reliance Jio, India was ranked 150th in terms of data penetration. It was now at number one. “Last month Jio users have consumed 100 crore gigabytes of data. India is number one today in terms of mobile data usage.”
5) In the coming months, Jio will more than double its data capacity. Ambani said the company has doubled its 4G stations as compared to its competitors.
First Published: Feb 22, 2017 09:01 IST