GCPL to buy 60% in Chile firm, Temasek gets 4.9% for Rs 685 cr
Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (GCPL) announced its tenth international acquisition in six years as it entered into an agreement to acquire 60% stake in Chile-based Cosmetica Nacional, a maker of hair care and colour cosmetics, for about Rs 200 crore.
This is the third acquisition by Godrej in the Latin American region as part of its three- by-three strategy under which the company has said that it will grow in the three categories - hair care, home care and personal care - and will grow it in three regions, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The company also announced the entry of Temasek as an investor in GCPL as it will issue 1.67 crore preferential shares amounting to 4.9% of the equity for Rs 685 crore.
Temasek is buying the stake through its wholly-owned subsidiary Baytree.
"We are raising money to fund the acquisition and the remaining amount will be utilised to pay our debts," said Adi Godrej, chairman, Godrej Group, adding that GCPL will acquire the remaining 40% in Cosmetica Nacional over the next 3-5 years.
Baytree has agreed to buy the 1.67 crore shares in GCPL at Rs 410 per share. While GCPL share price closed at Rs 402 at the National Stock Exchange on Friday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- At a time when petrol and diesel prices are at an all-time high, and taxes have a bigger component in the retail price than the base price of the fuels, it is worth revisiting the debate on bringing petrol and diesel under the ambit of GST.
- The ECIR is reportedly based on an FIR filed by the Chennai police under Section 420 of the IPC on the basis of a complaint by the Chennai Financial Markets and Accountability (CFMA), an organisation that fights for investors’ rights.
- Shipments in the December quarter grew at a higher rate of 198% annually with 15.2 million units.
- The companies are also opting for large boxes for storage, with around 400,000-plus sq. ft being the average demand.
- The latest acquisition is Delaporte’s boldest move to spur growth after the company ceded its position as India’s third-largest software services provider to HCL Technologies Ltd.
- The Bengaluru-based online retailer has been weighing a US initial public offering and it’s now also looking at other options, the people said.
- While the base price of petrol is ₹33.26 per litre, it attracts ₹32.90 a litre central excise and ₹21.04 per litre local levies in Delhi.
- As per SBI’s official website, the properties that are included in the auctions are those of defaulters who failed to pay their dues.
- Here’s how you can calculate the EPF interest