Himachal will be showcased as a model in green development: Pachuari
Himachal Pradesh will be highlighted as a role model in green development while undertaking projects with South-East Asian countries, including Japan, Korea and China, said RK Pachauri, director general of The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI).chandigarh Updated: Sep 11, 2012 20:29 IST
Himachal Pradesh will be highlighted as a role model in green development while undertaking projects with South-East Asian countries, including Japan, Korea and China, said RK Pachauri, director general of The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI).
Pachauri, on behalf of TERI, signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Himachal Pradesh government for setting up a TERI regional centre in Himachal.
Chief secretary Sudripta Roy signed the memorandum on behalf of the state government for setting up the regional centre in the presence of chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal and other government functionaries at Arms Dale conference hall.
Himachal Pradesh government has earmarked 30 bighas of land for developing the regional centre of TERI that would conduct environmental studies in the state.
In his address, Pachauri said TERI was keen to collaborate with Himachal Pradesh for developing green buildings in the state. Pachauri expressed his keenness for sustainable development of clean transport system in the state. He said TERI could also extend its assistance in developing a chain of cold storage in the state by using renewable energy.
Pachauri expressed his concern over the changes in the climate that is affecting the environment. Highlighting the future environmental challenges, he said that between 2020- 2050, the demand for the energy in India would rise tremendously.
Highlighting the future environmental challenges before India, Pachauri said that between 2020 and 2050, the country will have to import 750 billion tonnes of oil and 13,000 billion tonnes of coal annually.
On the occasion, Pachauri released a book titled "The Real Action - Green Growth Development Story of Himachal Pradesh".
In his speech, chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said the state government would be proposing "Green Budget" for 2013-14 financial year by incorporating provisions for developing the tools and methodologies for "green accounting" in planning and budget processes.
He said that the state government would be carrying environment cost manifestations in the budget for the coming financial year by availing technical assistance under the World Bank project approved for the state.
The chief minister said that the state government had taken a policy decision to earmark 1% of the annual revenue generated by the hydro-electric projects being constructed in the state to be paid as annual allowance to all project-affected families and be deposited into their bank accounts.
He said that 85% of the annual revenue generated through sale of electricity would be distributed equally among project-affected families, while the remaining 15% would be given as additional benefit to BPL families.
Chief secretary Sudripta Roy said that 30 bighas of land has been provided at Chamiana village in Shimla for setting up of the centre. He informed that the World Bank had approved 200 M US$ loan to support Himachal Pradesh in pursuing its green growth agenda for inclusive sustainable growth.
First Published: Sep 11, 2012 20:26 IST