The accused in the custody of Chandigarh police on Friday.(Sanjeev Sharma/HT)
The accused in the custody of Chandigarh police on Friday.(Sanjeev Sharma/HT)

Retired cop’s son arrested for killing 2 sisters in Chandigarh

Had forced entry into sisters’ house in Sector 22 to check Manpreet’s Whatsapp account as he suspected her of being in a relationship with another man, while he wanted to marry her.
Hindustan Times, Chandigarh | By HT Correspondent
UPDATED ON AUG 17, 2019 01:46 AM IST

Kuldeep Singh, 30, was arrested from New Delhi railway station around Friday noon for murdering two sisters living in a rented accommodation in Chandigarh on Rakshabandhan.

Kuldeep’s father retired as an inspector from Chandigarh Police six months ago.

The accused, Kuldeep Singh (HT Photo)
The accused, Kuldeep Singh (HT Photo)

Kuldeep, who resides in Zirakpur, was in a relationship with Manpreet Kaur, 26, the elder of the two sisters, said police. He had forced his entry into their one-room accommodation on the second floor of a house in Sector 22 early on Thursday morning. He was seen entering the building at 5:09am and leaving at 5:21am in CCTV footage obtained from the neighbourhood.

He wanted to check her WhatsApp account as he suspected her of being in a relationship with another man.

They had an argument before he slit Manpreet’s throat with a pair of scissors lying there. Before that, he even tried to strangulate her with his bare hands and her dupatta.

The younger sister, Rajwant Kaur, 24, raised the alarm only to be stabbed repeatedly. Sources at Government Multi Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector 16, where the postmortem was conducted on Friday, said she suffered at least 25 stab wounds. She was also strangulated with the same dupatta. The autopsy report is expected on Saturday.

Sources in the police said the sisters also sustained head injuries as the accused slammed their heads on the walls and floor, where pools of blood were found.

The sisters belonged to Abohar town of Fazilka district in Punjab and worked in a factory at Zirakpur on the outskirts of Chandigarh.

Police recovered two phones belonging to Manpreet Kaur when Kuldeep was arrested at the New Delhi station. He was also carrying the key of the house, which he locked while fleeing besides bloodstained clothes that he wore while murdering them.

His phone call to a friend helped police track him down. Kuldeep had also withdrawn cash from an ATM at the Delhi station. A case was registered under Section 302 (murder) of the IPC. The accused will be produced in court on Saturday, where police will seek his remand to find the murder weapon.

The two met in 2010

Kuldeep had met Manpreet Kaur in 2010, while working together at a call centre in Sector 34. Kuldeep was still working with the same firm, which has now shifted to Zirakpur, while Manpreet and her sister were in the process of opening a pharma-based firm.

Kuldeep had spoken to Manpreet’s parents about their marriage and had even stayed at their house in Abohar while attending a function there, said police. However, off late, Manpreet had been reportedly ignoring him.

“Kuldeep suspected Manpreet was seeing someone else. Their relationship had thus turned sour,” said Nilambari Vijay Jagadale, senior superintendent of police (SSP), Chandigarh.

Celebrated Rakhi before fleeing

After the double murder, Kuldeep returned home, took a bath and even celebrated Rakhshabandhan with his two younger sisters and a brother.

He later went to the Chandigarh bus stand and boarded a bus to Ambala, from where he took a train to reach Delhi. Police said his parents didn’t get suspicious as he would usually leave the house around 7am.

Meanwhile, Sikander Singh, father of the two victims, tried calling them around 8am.

Their younger brother Harpreet Singh, who works as a subdivisional officer with Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority, said the sisters were to visit home on Rakshabandhan.

At first, Sikander though they were not picking up the phone in order to give a surprise, but later around 10am he told a family friend, Lucky Chawla, who stays in Chandigarh, to check on them.

It was Chawla who broke into their house, found the bodies and alerted police.

When mehendi cost two lives

The murders could have been averted if Kuldeep had managed to open Manpreet’s mobile phone while she and Rajwant were fast asleep.

After breaking into their house, Kuldeep got his hand on her phone to check her WhatsApp messages, but Manpreet had changed the passcode.

When he tried to open it by putting Manpreet’s finger on the sensor, even that didn’t work as she had applied mehendi for Rakshabandhan that day.

Meanwhile, the two sisters woke up, leading to an argument and the murders.

Story Saved