Chandigarh gets two floating solar projects

Updated on Jan 23, 2023 11:40 PM IST

Possibly the largest in north India, the 2,000 kWp floating solar project at Sector 39, Chandigarh, has been installed at a total cost of ₹11.70 crore, while the 500 kWp project at Dhanas has been set up at a cost of ₹3.34 crore.

The floating solar project at Dhanas lake (above) will meet the energy needs of all buildings and offices under the Chandigarh forest department. UT administrator Banwarilal Purohit on Monday inaugurated two floating solar projects at the Sector-39 Water Works and the Dhanas lake. (Ravi Kumar/HT)
The floating solar project at Dhanas lake (above) will meet the energy needs of all buildings and offices under the Chandigarh forest department. UT administrator Banwarilal Purohit on Monday inaugurated two floating solar projects at the Sector-39 Water Works and the Dhanas lake. (Ravi Kumar/HT)
By, Chandigarh

UT administrator Banwarilal Purohit on Monday inaugurated two floating solar projects at the Sector-39 Water Works and the Dhanas lake.

Possibly the largest in north India, the 2,000 kWp floating solar project at Sector 39 has been installed at a total cost of 11.70 crore, while the 500 kWp project at Dhanas has been set up at a cost of 3.34 crore.

Designed to generate a minimum of 35 lakh units (kWh) of solar energy per year with 20% module efficiency, the projects have been executed by CREST (Chandigarh Renewable Energy and Science and Technology Promotion Society).

UT adviser Dharam Pal said the floating projects were one of their kind in north India and expressed his belief that with this pace, Chandigarh could achieve the central government’s dream target of becoming a 100% renewable-energy powered city in near future.

Will help conserve water, save land resources

Debendra Dalai, secretary, science and technology, UT, said installed on water bodies, the floating solar projects not only saved valuable land resources but also conserved water by limiting evaporation: “The water conserved resultantly can fulfil monthly water needs of 20,000 households in Chandigarh.”

The cooling effect of the water bodies, which will improve the performance of solar photovoltaic panels, is another benefit of the system.

He said 70% of the revenue generated from the 2,000 kWp floating solar project at the Sector-39 Water Works will be deposited in the government treasury and the remaining 30% will be given to the Chandigarh municipal corporation.

Similarly, the project installed at Dhanas lake will meet the energy needs of all buildings and offices under the UT forest department.

The administrator urged citizens to install rooftop solar panels at their houses, shops, offices and factories, etc., so as to tap solar energy, which was not only environmentally beneficial but also economically viable.

MP Kirron Kher expressed her happiness to see the Dhanas lake rising to a different height with installation of the floating solar project, along with fountains that had beautified the lake.

City mayor Anup Gupta and senior officers of the UT administration were also present on the occasion.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, February 01, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals