DU students helping transgenders earn livelihood and respect
A group of Delhi University students is arranging professional training for over 20 transgender people to help make them financially independent.
The group of students from Ramjas College have roped in experts to train members of the transgender community in jewellery making under a project called ‘Transcreation’.
“We contacted some NGOs who work with transgender community and started working with them. We want to empower the community and for that the first step is to make them financially independent,” said Rama Ravishankar, a student of Ramjas College who is working with the transgender community.
The students, part of a non-profit organization Enactus, have hired some designers from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) and other fashion and jewellery designing institutes to train the transgenders. “There are selected catalogues from which they learn the design. We have managed to get funds from various organizations which help us in paying for the training and raw material required for Transcreation,” Ravishankar said.
Currently, 22 people from the transgender community are being trained under the project. The Ramjas team said that they have tied up with retailers to sell the jewellery.
“We have tied up with many stores which sell the jewellery made by the transgenders. They are paid for every piece of jewellery they make. Each transgender person earns around Rs 5,000 per month. This gives them the much needed financial independence,” they said.
The students recently organised a campaign in which people were offered ‘Free Hugs’ by members of transgender community in Connaught Place. “People have misconceptions about the transgender community. We wanted to raise awareness about the community and make them feel welcome. We received a good response to our ‘Free Hugs’ event,” said one of the organisers.’
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- State Bank of India (SBI) on Friday released the admit card for the specialist cadre officers (SCO) at its official website, sbi.co.in.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has invited online applications for recruitment against 241 Vacancies for the post of security guard. Aspirants can apply online till February 12 at rbi.org.in.
- As per the amendment, the total number of centres will not be increased more than 10% as compared to last year
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has declared the results of Indian Economic Services/Indian Statistical Services written exam on its official website -upsc.gov.in. The written exam was held in October 2020
- Staff Selection Commision (SSC) on Friday released the final answer key of Convinced Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) 2019 tier 1 exam on its official website- ssc.nic.in.
- Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education (CGBSE) on Friday released the exam schedule for its class 10th and 12th board exams. The schedule has been uploaded on the official website-cgbse.nic.in.
- MU is one of many higher education institutes across the country which chose to conduct convocation ceremonies virtually this year.
- Parents from across the state have written to the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) over issues pertaining to private schools in the state.