New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 23, 2020-Friday



Select Country
Select city
Home / Cities / Minor ‘gangrape victim’, parents consume poison near SSP office in Varanasi, admitted to hospital

Minor ‘gangrape victim’, parents consume poison near SSP office in Varanasi, admitted to hospital

In a note recovered from their possession, they alleged police negligence in the rape case

cities Updated: Dec 23, 2019, 20:48 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent

A 17-year-old girl, who had accused three people of raping her in October, allegedly consumed poison along with her parents near the office of the Varanasi senior superintendent of police on Monday, police said.

While the three were rushed to a hospital for treatment, a note recovered from them cited police negligence in the rape case as a reason for the step, officials said.

SSP Prabhaklar Chaudhary, however, refuted the allegations. He said that two of the accused had already been arrested and a team has been constituted to nab the third accused.

“It seems that some people instigated the girl and her parents to do this [consume poison near SSP office]. We will look into this too,” said Chaudhary.

Officials said that the girl, in her statement, said she had met the main accused, Zamir Alam and his accomplices Utkarsh Tiwari and Vishal Maurya, at the Cantt railway station when she was on her way to Ballia in the first week of October. Zamir had claimed to be a travelling ticket examiner (TTE). According to the girl’s statement, Zamir promised to get her a role in a movie and took her phone number. Utkarsh and Vishal then allegedly accompanied her back home.

The girl said that she left her home on November 2 and reached the Cantt railway station where she met Zamir and Utkarsh, along with five other girls. She said that all of them travelled to Mumbai together.

The girl told the police that she was lodged in a hotel in Mumbai where she was allegedly given sedative-laced food. On regaining consciousness, she said, she realised some unidentified men had raped her. She also alleged that a woman she did not know had told her that Zamir had sold her to an unidentified man.

Police officials said that the girl’s father had lodged a case of kidnapping against Vishal and Utkarsh at the Cantt police station on November 3. In his complaint, the girl’s father claimed that the two frequently visited their house and he suspected that they had kidnapped the girl.

The girl told the police that she fled the hotel and returned to Varanasi on November 13.

On November 13, Zamir, Vishal and Utkarsh were booked for rape after the girl returned to her home and told her parents of the incident. Thereafter, police sent the girl for medical examination.

The medical examination didn’t confirm the rape, a police officer said.

Circle officer (Cantt) Mohammad Mustaq said, “Section 376 (rape) was added in the FIR registered against Utkarsh, Vishal and Zamir on the basis of the victim’s statement.”

Police said Vishal was arrested about a month back, while Zamir was arrested a few days ago. The third accused, Utkarsh Tiwari, is still at large, officials said. Vishal and Utkarsh are in their late twenties while Zamir is in his early thirties.

Police said the girl and her parents were rushed to the district hospital for medical aid and were then referred to the BHU trauma centre for further treatment where they were stated to be stable.


Police said that all the three rape accused also faced the charge of murdering the victim’s brother. A case was registered under section 302 (murder) of the IPC against Zamir Alam, Vishal Maurya and Utkarsh Tiwari, following a complaint by the victim’s father in this connection on November 13, they said.

The body of the victim’s brother was recovered from Ganga (Dashashwamedh Ghat) on October 19, said CO (Cantt), adding that he committed suicide. “Before taking the extreme step, the 16-year-old boy had sent a message on his father’s whatsapp number in which he had said that he was taking the step by choice and no one was responsible for his death,” said Mohammad Mustaq.

He said that the post-mortem examination had revealed the cause of death to be drowning.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading